Making a Vanilla Bourbon Oaked Porter, when to oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuNk

Reaction score
I have gotten an extract kit from NB and I am planning on making it this weekend. This is my second batch, so I stepped it up a little, with the specialty grains and bourbon, oak and vanilla in the secondary. The recipe calls for 14 days on the oak. My question is how do I get 14 days on the oak? Should I add the oak 14 days before bottling or is there a bag/sock to hang in the secondary?

Thanks,

Brian

When I oak, I soak the chips in vodka for a day or two, then dump them in secondary. Since you're doing bourbon, oak, and vanilla, I'd soak them in the bourbon for a couple days, then add. This should kill any nasties living in the wood.

I don't know how much oak is in the kit, but I usually do an ounce. I leave it in there for a week, then I taste it every day or two until it hits the "oakiness" that I'm looking for. At that point I rack it off the oak and bottle.

Back