Fermentation Chamber Concept Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
OK, I've read some threads on a fermentation chamber. I have a brand new but duplicate small chest freezer that will fit one 6.5 gallon carboys. As a DIYer, I like building things but I'm trying to get my mind around this idea from a practical standpoint.

I understand that in the summer this concept is simple: put on an electronic module that will kick the freezer on when the temp reaches the setp point. Seems simple enough.

I'm wondering though if using the freezer in the winter here in upstate NY would work. For example, I keep the house at around 68 in the winter. That would mean it's unlikely the freezer, from ambient temps, would get warmer than that in the winter. At the same time, fermenting in a center room in my house where the temp os constant isn't going to work, say if I need fermentation temps higher than 70 degrees (hard to keep and maintain that in my older home).

Is there like a website or thread that walks through the conceptual ideas behind the fermentation idea or does anyone have some input to help me put this brand new freezer to year round use. I think that my inability to control fermentation temps has led to poor beer quality!

So essentially, by using a freezer in my case, I need a two-stage controller and some sort of heat source for the winter. I assume the dul stage controller will determine whether to use the heater of the freezer? Or am I dreaming!!!!!!!

That is correct. It will maintain whatever your set point temperature is regardless of ambient temp. If it needs to heat it operates a heater, if it needs cooling it powers the freezers compressor to cool the space.

My thread details install and programming of the controller.

Great info. Saw your build thread. I'll need to check the wiring diagram for the freezer. If I'm following correctly, the controller has a probe/thermometer on it and it bypasses the thermometer in the freezer.

Do you need to have some sort of outlet for air to release from the chamber during fermentation? The freezer I have has a drain in the bottom and I'm wondering if that is sufficient?

Latest posts

Back