Bhut Jolokia peppers...why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
This is a two parter. I have seen these and thought about getting some seeds to grow. But then you have to wear gloves just to touch them. If they are that hot then it seems to me that it is just a hot pepper for hot's sake.

One, does anyone grow these? Why? Pictures of your plant with peppers and also of the peppers.

Two, what the hell do you use them for? I mean, Habanero is spicy enough. It seems to me like it is a game of oneupsmanship. I don't mean that in a bad way as I love Ferrari's too ;)

This is a two parter. I have seen these and thought about getting some seeds to grow. But then you have to wear gloves just to touch them. If they are that hot then it seems to me that it is just a hot pepper for hot's sake.

One, does anyone grow these? Why? Pictures of your plant with peppers and also of the peppers.

Two, what the hell do you use them for? I mean, Habanero is spicy enough. It seems to me like it is a game of oneupsmanship. I don't mean that in a bad way as I love Ferrari's too ;)

Just got my seeds a week or so ago. I would post pics but they are little seedlings.

I got them because I heard they were the hottest and wanted to see what they taste like. If they are hot just for the sake of being hot or have good flavor. I think they would be great for a pot of chili and of course to get some friend that thinks they can eat the hottest stuff on earth to try.

I agree and disagree. I have tried some hot hot sauces and they go all the way from flavorful and fullfilling, up to just heat. I think that I would go with trying to grow them as well to see what they taste like and if they are really as hot as they say. I disagree because I don't think I would ever make a pot of chili or trick friends with the hottest pepper on the earth. Seems like a waste of said chili and a possible trip to the hospital to me.

I know they are hot, but it is kind of like buying a car that can go 0-120 in two seconds. You will never go 300mph, but there is the possibility. I know that Habaneros are hot enough for 99% of my hot pepper needs, why get a pepper that I only need to use the tip and then what the heck will I do with the rest of the pepper?

I agree and disagree. I have tried some hot hot sauces and they go all the way from flavorful and fullfilling, up to just heat. I think that I would go with trying to grow them as well to see what they taste like and if they are really as hot as they say. I disagree because I don't think I would ever make a pot of chili or trick friends with the hottest pepper on the earth. Seems like a waste of said chili and a possible trip to the hospital to me.

I know they are hot, but it is kind of like buying a car that can go 0-120 in two seconds. You will never go 300mph, but there is the possibility. I know that Habaneros are hot enough for 99% of my hot pepper needs, why get a pepper that I only need to use the tip and then what the heck will I do with the rest of the pepper?

Because of the "what if" factor, we dont know until we try one how said pepper will be. If you want once I get some I will send ya one and you can decide.

I grow several varieties of habaneros and the Ghost Pepper (bhut jolokia). The reason i grew the bhuts was strictly curiosity. I have tons of unripe bhuts and have tasted only one and it is rediculuos! My friends, wife and I love to eat hot peppers, usually slice and put on nachos etc. I plan on using them primarily for hot sauce and dry some for seasoning food. The flavor is different than a habanero. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back