batch #1 brewed today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
i brewed my first batch today. it was the "barking dog scottish ale" extract recipe that was taken from a recent zymurgy magazine.

milling specialty grains.....

batch #1 primary fermentation

my buddy, barefootbrewer, watched me on my first batch. went off without a hitch. i'm crossing my fingers it turns out good.

Welcome to the obsession...
One another note, Biermuncher, I am brewing your wit beer tomorrow!:rockin:

Welcome....looks like you did a good job.

Better get to brewing you next batch, you will drink this one very quickly.

this is pre-hot break....

i actually didn't get a hot break until i added the hops. i had a good bit of headspace in the pot, so it boiled up and fell into itself. never had to kill the heat.

Welcome....looks like you did a good job.

Better get to brewing you next batch, you will drink this one very quickly.

once i switch that into secondary, i'm going to see if i can fit a large and small carboy in the refrigerator. if so, i'm going to try to brew the 60 minute ipa recipe in the "extreme brewing" book by sam.

looks like everything has dropped to the bottom and i'm 35 seconds or so between bubbles in the airlock.

time to rack this thing to secondary i take it?

No way man!! Leave it in there for at minimum 14 days before transferring. What was the O.G.? What is the F.G. suppose to be?

You should rack to secondary when the F.G. is stable and hasn't moved in a few days. On this board, people say to let it ferment for at least 3 weeks, that way they definitely know that the yeast is done fermenting. While the yeast may be done fermenting, it may not be done cleaning itself up.

Example, I had a brown ale that was done fermenting. When I went to bottle the beer smelled like rotten eggs. The smell dissapated after about a month in the bottle. The smell was from the fact that the yeast was not done cleaning up itself.

wouldn't the three weeks include the two weeks in secondary?

Well a secondary is used for clearing the beer. So the beer will have enough time to clear in the 3 week period. If the beer is left in the primary for 3 weeks then there really is no need for a secondary. Also remember that when using a secondary, you are introducing the beer to a new environment that may have an infection. So by not using a secondary, you are decreasing the chance of the beer becoming infected.

There is debating among people on here whether or not to rack the beer off of the dead yeast. I have not much experience either way.

I have personally decided to just go by my hydrometer and bottle when the hydrometer reads the same over at least 2 to 3 days.

From a personal standpoint, I have found that when the beer has enough time to do its thing, then that is when you will get the best results.

Back