Set and forget method question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I just kegged my California Common. I started to force card, putting 30psi on it, then the phone rang. Looks like I have some commitments that are going to take me away for 2 weeks. At the moment, it's at room temp with 30 psi - should I bleed the valve, set it to 12.5 and leave it at room temp for 2 weeks, or should I put it in the fridge to carb? What pressure would you recommend?

You definately need to turn the pressure down. I'd put at at 10-12 and refrigerate it. You'll come home to nicely carbonated beer.

It will carb more efficiently if the beer is cold. If you can put it in the fridge on C02, that would be best.

I usually sit/forget my kegs in the fridge at around 11 PSI, they're good to go in about 2 weeks.

You can look up recommended C02 levels for different styles of beer. You can google for the answers. I find that 11 works pretty well for my ales.

thanks. I chill it. Should I leave it on the gas, considering I wont be here to monitor it? Or is it better to put it on 11psi then remove the gas?

Leave the gas on- The beer will absorb the CO2 as it carbonates.
Only if you're real confident in your system. Even a small leak will drain your gas over that period of time. That said, I’d drop to serving pressure and chill with the gas on.

For reference, this guide has a chart with higher pressures/temperatures that will give you the same volumes and have you beer ready to drink when you get home and chill it. The advantage to this is both less space in your frig and kegs seal better under higher pressures.

http://www.beernut.com/Web_store/kegging.pdf
:mug:

JK, you need to leave the gas on it in order to force carb. The beer slowly absorbs the C02 over time, and will stabilize over the course of a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back