Buddy Making a light color beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big "A"

Reaction score
he is making a 4- 4.5% beer
6lbs of malt syrup
.25 Munich
.25 Crystal 10L
.5 Flaked Rice

I told him to mash all the grain together because if I am right the flaked rice needs to be mashed, right?

You are correct. Unfortunately though, there probably won't be enough enzymes in a quarter pound of munich malt to convert that rice. Try adding a half pound of pale malt as well, and then mash it.

You could also consider using rice syrup solids which have already been mashed/converted.

I hope some hops are going to make it into that recipe...

If he's just steeping for some color and body, I'd drop the rice entirely, but that's just me...

Yeah he is using Amarillo, ? can't remember the Flavor hop and Cascade for aroma.

I knew I was correct! He read something that I told him did not at all sound correct. Mashing the rice at 129-135????
I know I gave him the strangest look ever.:confused:
Anywho we'll see what happens it will still be beer! :mug:

I tried to tell him not to mess with light colored beers until he wen't AG...he is not so concerned with the color as much as having a low alcohol brew for the summer. I hope his using the rice isn't completely wasted but I honestly think he just wants to experiment a bit.

My low alcohol brew is going to be BM's Centennial Blonde :ban:
I think I'll dry hop with the Centennial Hops 2!! :drunk: Hop head!

Back