Back sweetening AFTER kegging and carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
So I did a peach cider kit and it's dry. I am not surprised by this but it's not quite palatable. I made it mainly for my wife and she is really not a fan.

I kegged it and already force carbed. My question is, can I depressurize the keg, open it up, pour in a can of AJ concentrate (yeasties are already killed), close it back up, repressurize it, and shake the sh*t out of the keg to mix without having to worry about anything as long as my sanitization is good?

:tank:

Well, you could do that but it might restart fermentation even though it would be a bit cold in the kegerator. I'd add a crushed and dissolved campden tablet (one per gallon) along with 1/2 tsp sorbate per gallon. Then wait a day and add the sweetening. You wouldn't have to shake too much, just enough to gently mix.

Edit- you said "yeasties are already killed". Did you already sorbate? Or filter?

Thanks, Yooper. I did exactly that. I boiled one can of AJ concentrate for 2 minutes and dropped 'er in the keg hot. Immediately repressurized and bled O2 off. then rolled the sh*t out of my corny to mix it. The taste that I just drew is not much sweeter but maybe it needs to settle more. *Crossing Fingers!!!*

:tank:

You can also back sweeten into the glass so people can select their level of sweetness on the fly. Cider is one of those things that you begin prefering more dry over time. Now that I'm down to my last gallon, I wish I didn't back sweeten in the keg. I want it drier.

Back