dreaming of summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
My family goes up to a cottage in northern Wisconsin around the fourth of July every year. And I guess they want me to bring some homebrew. I know it's very early, but with all the snow we've been getting I can't help thinking about summer.

I'm thinking about doing two brews: an APA and a wit. If I were to add a third beer, I'd consider a porter as it can get a little cool in the evenings and a dark beer around the campfire could be nice.

What would you brew for such an occasion? (I don't have a set-up to do lagers, which are obvious summer beer choices.)

My fear is that with the hop shortage I won't be able to get enough hops for the pale ale. Is this concern legitimate? Or should I start stocking up on hops now (and if I do will they keep ok in my freezer?)?

Do a nice belgian wit and an english mild brown ale.

My Blue Balls wit is easy, requires low amounts of hops and the english mild, while it's a brown and flavorful beer, is low hopped and low alcohol. It would make a nice summer (cool) evening beer because there'd be no regrets in the morning.

As long as we're talking about belgian wits, I think I've stumbled through the style more by luck than by skill.

I HATE Blue Moon. It's way too sweet and just too fruity for me to enjoy more than a few sips. What parameters do I need to watch to keep my beer from tasting like Blue Moon? I imagine keeping my fermentation on the low side would prevent ester formation.

Besides that...?

:off:

Where is the cottage? I know several people here on HBT come up this way in the summer.

I'm thinking if you hate Blue Moon (as I do) you might not really enjoy a wit that much. I don't like wheat beers in any way, though, so I'm probably not a good judge. I'd do a cream ale, or lighter flavored beer like the Fat Tire clone rather than a wit.

Blue Moon is not a very good representation of the style in my opinion. There are a lot of good wits out there you can try, try Allagash White if you can get it.

When I give people a home brew for the first time, one beer that goes over good is a nice amber beer. Just something about this style seems to please new people about home brew.

Jack said:
I know it's very early, but with all the snow we've been getting I can't help thinking about summer.
:off: but, I don't blame you. It's -1° F. here, and snowing. It's suppose to get worse tonight and tomorrow, but I just read an entire seed catalog last night, and am abrady dreaming about the changes I'm going to make to my garden this year.

Come on spring:mug:

Professor Frink said:
There are a lot of good wits out there you can try, try Allagash White if you can get it.

Oh Yeah. On nice think about living in the Portland Me aria, Allagash at all stores and bars:rockin:

I don’t have a “set up” for lagers either but its cold enough in my basement to do it. Do you have a basement or garage?

Yeah, I was actually inspired to brew the style by allagash white. That's some great beer. Come to think of it, I should really see if I can find any clone brew recipes for it.

The cottage is outside of Pembine, Wisconsin... which is close to the Wisconsin-UP border. Clearly if any of you are nearby, I'd be happy to get together.

Unfortunately, I live on the second floor of an apartment so I don't have easy access to either the outdoors or a cellar. I've been thinking about doing a "half-a**" lager attempt by filling a big tub with ice and throwing my carboy in. But I'm not sure if that would work yet.

Back