Can CO2 get old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
First post after lurking for a handful of weeks.

I started brewing again after a 12 year hiatus.

My first brew was a Southern British Brown Ale partial mash and turned out rather well.

I used to force carbonate and serve from Corny Kegs. So, after cleaning everything up and racking to a Corny, I found that my old CO2 bottle still had decent pressure. I dropped the temp on the beer to 40°F and pushed in gas to about 10 PSI. After two days at 40°F, the beer was still flat even though my son and I did the "roll the keg" dance.

I can't come up with any reason for it to be so flat, nor can I come up with a reason for the CO2 to go "off".

Is it possible that the gas in the CO2 tank is too old to use?

no, co2 cannot get old. That keg rocking stuff never worked for me, and when did anything close to carbonating my beer it tasted weird. Turn the pressure down to 12-15 psi and let it carb at a normal pace over a week or so.

also, make sure there is co2 in the tank.

at 10 psi give it a week to carbonate. 10 psi is a low pressure and not really a "force carbonate" pressure. check it again in 3 to 5 days.

Two days isn't a real long time to force carb your beer at only 10 psi. I'd wait a few weeks or through the pressure up to about 30 for 24 hrs and then back it off to 10.

CO2 is 12 billion years old so I guess the answer to your question is "yes" CO2 can get old.

I usually hit my cornys with 30 psi for 24 hours, reduce to 6 psi for serving and I'm all set.

Wow! Six replays in 16 minutes! Thanks, all!

Somewhere along the line, I've misplaced my old logs. Apparently, my memory isn't what it was, either.

I'll try bumping to 30 PSI for 24 hours to see what happens.

BTW - I seem to be the only one who's complaining about it bring flat... ;^)

Anything to help! Especially if I can be a smartA in the process...:)

dcarter said:
Anything to help! Especially if I can be a smartA in the process...:)

Yeah! I caught that reference, Star Dust Boy, but I was amazed at the level of responses...so...

bowing-036.gif

5 Gal Best Bitter racked from glass secondary to Corny at 38°F. Shot it w/ 35 PSI CO2. We'll see how this one sucks up gas.

OG - 1.040
FG - 1.010

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I really do appreciate it!

This coming from my NUCO2 rep. It can not get old but the tank can and if the gas wasn't done correctly it can cause off flavors. This is why some beer companies installed co2 filters I between the draft systems and co2 tanks.

Back