Kane Head High IPA Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocluke

Reaction score
I was on vacation on the East Coast (I live in Southern California) and hit up every beer bar and brewery I could find while out there for a few days. One of the two best hoppy beers that I had during my stay was Kane Head High IPA (the other was a Hill Farmstead Double IPA). I was blown away by how tropical and aromatic it was. It was very clean, dry and aromatic...a true quaffer.

I reached out to the brewer and he gave me the recipe. I find it interesting that the base malt is all Pilsner. I'm also surprised at the hops being used because they seem so typical for a west coast style IPA. Head High had a more tropical fruit and floral (but more like s tropical flower if that makes sense) aspect to it than the citrus/pine one would expect from the hops stated in the recipe (maybe it's the yeast/hop interaction?).

He didn't provide OG/FG, but the beer is 6.5%, so that's easy to play around with in your brewing software. He also mentioned that they whirlpool for 45 minutes, so you may need to tweak hop additions based on that information and your personal setup/process.

5 gallon recipe (6.5%)
OG: 15.5P
FG: 3.0P

Malt Bill:
91% Pilsner
3% Crystal 40
3% Carapils
3% Flaked Wheat

Hop Bill:
90 min: ~40BU Columbus
30 min: ~20BU Chinook
10 min: ~10BU Columbus
5 min: ~5 BU Citra

Whirlpool:
1.0 oz Citra
1.0 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Centennial

Dry Hopping: (3-5 Days)
1-2 oz Cascade
1-2 oz Citra
1 oz Columbus

Yeast: White Labs Dry English (007). Pitch at 64 and let rise to 68 over the 5 days of fermentation.

i just had this over the weekend and would love to brew a clone of it.
i do not know what whirlpooling is nor do i have the software to convert it all.

anyone wanna help a brother out and dumb this down for me. 5 gallon all grain instructions, PLEASE!!

thanks guys! :)

Use a program like Brewer's friend (free) or another program to find the exact amounts. The recipe in the original post is for a 5 gallon batch.

Using those percentages I got
10.92 lbs Pilsner
5.76 oz of the other three
OG 1.066 FG 1.017

For BUs you'd put Columbus in at 90 minutes at what AA the hops you get are. So for example if the hops are 15 AA then you'd need ~.75oz Columbus at 90 minutes for ~41 BUs.

Well thanks. Representing one of the better jersey IPAs. I'll have to look into this one.

I'm reviving this old thread because I have grown to love this IPA, which I can only get about once a year. A friend has asked me to brew it. I just spent some time with Beersmith and I've tried to convert the numbers above to actual weights/amounts. Would someone mind looking this over and telling me if I'm about on target?

It's worth pointing out, the brewery website says the OG is 16p, not 15.5 as above. I have adjusted the amount of grain for 16. The website also says that it's 80ibu, which I have accounted for (instead of the 75IBU above). I also noticed the website says color is 5.6, and beer smith is giving me 5.2. Not a big deal, but figured I'd mention it. I'm sure this is the brewer tweaking the recipe in the few years since this thread was first posted.

5 gallon recipe (6.5%)
OG: 15.5P->corrected to 16
FG: 3.0P

Malt Bill:
11lbs 2oz Pilsner
6.1 oz Crystal 40
6.1 oz Carapils
6.1 oz Flaked Wheat

Hop Bill:
90 min: .8 oz @ 14% Columbus
30 min: .6 oz @ 13% Chinook
10 min: .6 oz @ 14% Columbus
5 min: .6 oz @ 12% Citra

Anyone brew the clone recipe of Head High IPA in this string? Can you share results? Reading about mash temps yesterday, someone suggested mashing at 149F would result in a drier beer than 152F. If I add hops at whirlpool, the wort will be completely cooled, will I get anything out of those hops into the beer as it sits for 30 minutes after whirlpool? Or maybe throw those whirlpool hops in at 140F? Any advice?

Back