Pitched Yeat At Low Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
So far all my batches were O.K. this is my fifth batch and I cooled my wort a bit too much. So I pitched anyway no starter just White Labs Irish Ale. Should this be a problem. I'm guessing it will just be a slow start but is there anything else I should look out for?

How much is too much? And what is the ambient temp. in the location of the fermenter. If room temp is around 68, then it shouldn't take too long to come back up to temp, assuming you're not too far off. I've used White Labs several times, most without a starter with fine results. Assuming you didn't drop the temp to freezing and the fermenter is not in a snow bank you should be fine.

As long as your wort wasn't nearly freezing your yeast should be fine. It might just take a little longer then normal for them to get to work.

voodoochild7 said:
So far all my batches were O.K. this is my fifth batch and I cooled my wort a bit too much. So I pitched anyway no starter just White Labs Irish Ale. Should this be a problem. I'm guessing it will just be a slow start but is there anything else I should look out for?

optimum ferm temp for white labs irish ale yeast is 65-68 degrees. you'll be fine. it will just take a little longer to ferment (remember it generates heat up to 7-10 degrees during fermentation) and you may not get all the esthery, fruity flavors out of it if it's below the 65 degree mark. it'll still be good. :D

Back