efficiancy and P.H.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbid53

Reaction score
what is the standard p.h. level of water I should want to use. My efficiancy sucks this may be why The water company says p.h. is between 7.5 and 8.5 normaly what is good?:drunk:

It's not necessarily the ph of the water that you're worried about. Sure, it'd be good to start with a neutral ph, but the important thing is the softness of your water. Your grains will adjust the ph of your water to the correct range for mashing if it's soft enough. To have some peace of mind, you could purchase some 5.2 buffer, which works very well even for some not-so-soft water. Really light grains (like pilsner) have a harder time adjusting, but for most "regular" grain bills, you will probably be fine. If you want to know, just test your ph about ten minutes or so after dough-in.

p.h. is between 7.5 and 8.5

You have alkaline water and should use something to make the mash more acid. You probably also have high mineral levels. I use pH 5.2, even though I have soft water. Very cheap insurance & I can batch sparge hot without worrying about tannins.

Back