Anyone successful with peanut butter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been wanting to brew a peanut-butter/chocolate stout (as have many, apparently) for ages now; trouble is that I can't find anyone who's truly been successful with a method of incorporating the flavor of peanut butter (PB) into a brew.

Plenty have tried real, defatted PB, or used PB2 (a powdered PB product), or have used peanut or PB extract, but no one has said, for the record, that they've used *this* or *that* in *this* quantity with success (or provided tasting notes).

I'm gearing up to brew up a small (2.5- or 3-gallon) all-grain batch using PB2 and/or PB extract (if I can find it, I'd use it at bottling), but just wondering if anyone here can "be the hero" and say definitively that this works or that doesn't.

Anyone?

It'd be greatly appreciated...and you'd be a god among men.

Cheers,
Nige

Up 'til now, I have avoided even thinking about anything that could be oily. But the thought of a dry-roasted nut flavor to a stout sounds appealing. Thanks for sparking that imponderable. (As if I need more brew-thoughts in my head:p)

I used 6 jars of PB2 & 8 oz late baker's chocolate additions in a recipe based on the Northern Brewer Milk Stout kit. It's got some intense PB flavor, but kinda masks the chocolate addition. However, it did take an honorable mention in a HB Competition I entered it in under the specialty beer category.

If I were you, I'd formulate a stout recipe coming in around 7.5% ABV. Mine was only 5.5% & definitely didn't have enough malty sweetness.

Maybe something like...

OG 1.087
FG 1.028
IBU 33
Color 43.9 L

Grain Bill
- .75 lb Chocolate steep 30 min
- .25 lb Extra Dark Crystal steep 30 min
- 12 lbs Dark LME boil 60 min
- 1 lb Lactose boil 60 min

Hop Schedule
- 1.5 oz Cluster 60 min
- .5 oz Cluster 30 min

PB2/Chocolate Additions
- 13 oz PB2 30 min
- 13 oz PB2 15 min
- 4 oz Baker's Chocolate 15 min
- 13 oz PB2 5 min
- 4 oz Baker's Chocolate 5 min
- 8 oz Baker's Chocolate or Cocoa Powder 14 days in secondary

Yeast
- Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

If I ever brew mine again, this would be a starting point for a recipe with the adjustments included from my experiences the first time around. Just be prepared to filter when dumping from the kettle to the primary. The PB2 tends to clump together in the boil.

This is for a 5 gallon extract version. It was only my second brew & I have an electric stove, so I couldn't go all-grain for mine. Also, the head retention was only so-so. The judges in the competition were actually pretty surprised at the head retention it had based on the amount of PB2 in the recipe...could have been a lot better though in my opinion.

I used 2 jars of PB2 from Bells in my 5-gallon chocolate stout. One in the boil and one in secondary. The flavor at the end of primary was all chocolate and no peanuts. The single one in secondary added a decent amount of flavor but I had used too much cocoa powder.

When I do it again, it'll be 2 jars in secondary and I'll mash at 156-158 and add a lot more crystal malt to bring the sweetness up a ton. Cocoa powder gives that great deep flavor, but I think it's much too dark for the peanutbutter cup combo. Sweetness is definitely needed to bring that authenticity to it.

The biggest problem I had was sanitizing the PB Powder before adding to secondary. I tried soaking it in vodka but the amount of vodka needed scared me a little.

Oh, and to the OP, I did provide tasting notes on my trial in a couple of the threads on this!

I used 2 jars of PB2 from Bells in my 5-gallon chocolate stout. One in the boil and one in secondary. The flavor at the end of primary was all chocolate and no peanuts. The single one in secondary added a decent amount of flavor but I had used too much cocoa powder.

When I do it again, it'll be 2 jars in secondary and I'll mash at 156-158 and add a lot more crystal malt to bring the sweetness up a ton. Cocoa powder gives that great deep flavor, but I think it's much too dark for the peanutbutter cup combo. Sweetness is definitely needed to bring that authenticity to it.

The biggest problem I had was sanitizing the PB Powder before adding to secondary. I tried soaking it in vodka but the amount of vodka needed scared me a little.

Oh, and to the OP, I did provide tasting notes on my trial in a couple of the threads on this!

The 6 jars I used was probably a bit much. Based on my research, everyone who tried adding anywhere from 1-3 jars to the boil didn't get much, if any PB flavor. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen with mine.

As for the secondary, I was worried about the exact same thing. That's why I didn't rack onto any PB2. I figured that much vodka could have potentially hurt the final product. How much vodka did you need to use for a 6.5 oz jar of PB2? I may need to try this method if I brew it again if you didn't experience any negatives from it.

For the OP, if you're interested in adding peanut butter extract to the secondary/at bottling, they make that too. I actually found a company on eBay that sells it...Watkins Gourmet Extracts I think. Personally, I don't like adding flavoring extracts to my beers.

The 6 jars I used was probably a bit much. Based on my research, everyone who tried adding anywhere from 1-3 jars to the boil didn't get much, if any PB flavor. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen with mine.

As for the secondary, I was worried about the exact same thing. That's why I didn't rack onto any PB2. I figured that much vodka could have potentially hurt the final product. How much vodka did you need to use for a 6.5 oz jar of PB2? I may need to try this method if I brew it again if you didn't experience any negatives from it.

For the OP, if you're interested in adding peanut butter extract to the secondary/at bottling, they make that too. I actually found a company on eBay that sells it...Watkins Gourmet Extracts I think. Personally, I don't like adding flavoring extracts to my beers.

What I did was add the entire jar to a tupperware cup, and then I started pouring in vodka and stirring. I stopped when I reached a consistency that was thicker than normal peanut butter with no powder remaining. My guess is that it was at least 10-15 ounces. I encountered a problem when it came to adding it to the carboy. I had to add a decent amount of filtered water to get it to a point that I could spoon it into the carboy. The stout base was 9% so I wasn't real concerned about infection, and adding the filtered water to the already alcohol primed peanut butter would likely have killed anything in the water anyway, but it's still something I need to rethink...

I had wonderful results with one jar of PB2 in my brown porter. I wanted it to taste subtle though, so that amount may not be enough if you want a more nutty beer.

Im going to try eating a Reeces Peanut butter cup with a stout.Sounds a lot more practical. Good luck.

Hey Mischief Brewing,

Thanks a lot for the info. I can't find your recipe anywhere, though. Hmmm. Care to post it?

Hey Mischief Brewing,

Thanks a lot for the info. I can't find your recipe anywhere, though. Hmmm. Care to post it?

Peanut Butter Cup Stout (parti gyle)
Batch size 5.25 x2
Boil size 6.1 x2
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 22 pounds
Efficiency 82%

First runnings
Original gravity 1.098
Final gravity 1.033
Alcohol (by volume) 8.5%
Bitterness (IBU) 28
Color (SRM) 46.6°L
Yeast
7 liquid packs
White Labs
WLP002 English Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
2 Row Base 37ppg, 1.5°L 13 pounds
Maris Otter 38ppg, 4°L 4 pounds
Barley (Roasted) 28ppg, 500°L 1.75 pounds
Chocolate 29ppg, 350°L 1 pound
Special B 30ppg, 140°L 1 pound
Crystal 120L 33ppg, 120°L 0.5 pounds
Barley (Flaked) 32ppg, 2°L 0.5 pounds
Black Patent 27ppg, 500°L 0.25 pounds

Hops/Boil
Warrior hops 16%, Pellet 1.5 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Lactose Flavor 16 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Ghiradelli Cocoa powder 16 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
PB Powder 8 ounces 60 minutes (+0)
Mount Hood hops 5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 30 minutes (+30)
Mount Hood hops 5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 5 minutes (+55)

Mash
Target 152°F

Ferment
14 days @ 65-68°F
Add PB powder 8 ounces 14 days (secondary)

Notes

1 can of pb powder soaked in vodka at 2 weeks
Collected +/- 5 gal of second runnings. added 5 oz of Godiva cocoa powder and a few lbs of honey and 1# of Pilsen DME 1.051 OG

VERY nice-looking recipe!! I like your choice of grains. So you'd add more PB2 to it next time around, eh? Is sanitizing the PB2 as "easy" as just soaking a jar or two in vodka, then carefully dumping it into the secondary? Did you add it to the already-added beer in the secondary, or did you siphon the beer atop the gooey mass and stir it gently? Do you think that gently stirring it a couple times over a week or two (in secondary) would screw things up too badly? I'd guess it would, but wondering about your experience.

And the PB2 gave it enough of a "real" peanut butter flavor, or was it more of an aftertaste?

My second attempt will have me using half the chocolate, increasing lactose and mash temp for sweetness, and putting both jars in secondary. I'll probably do the vodka mix again, and then filtered or boiled water to dilute it some more to easily add it into secondary. You could definitely taste the peanutbutter in the final product. That flavor wasn't there when transferring to secondary, so I assume it was the second addition that held the flavor. It might have been the vodka extracting the flavor out as well. Not sure and it's too expensive to do multiple tests.

I added after racking and didn't worry about introducing oxygen since there is some sugar in the PB powder and there was a small fermentation after it was all added. I didn't stir, but I swirled the carboy a few times to see if I could get it mixed in a little. I think the yeast eating the sugar in the PB Powder helped mix it up a little.

What I did was add the entire jar to a tupperware cup, and then I started pouring in vodka and stirring. I stopped when I reached a consistency that was thicker than normal peanut butter with no powder remaining. My guess is that it was at least 10-15 ounces. I encountered a problem when it came to adding it to the carboy. I had to add a decent amount of filtered water to get it to a point that I could spoon it into the carboy. The stout base was 9% so I wasn't real concerned about infection, and adding the filtered water to the already alcohol primed peanut butter would likely have killed anything in the water anyway, but it's still something I need to rethink...

What about gently heating the powder/vodka/water mixture to cook off the alcohol after the mix is sanitized? Let it cool and then add. Might not remove all the vodka, but should take a bite out of it.

Mischief,

Let me get this straight, if I may (I'm brewing a PB/Chocolate stout next weekend). You say that you dumped the jar into a plastic container and added vodka, stirring. You say that "it was at least 10-15 ounces"; you're talking about how much vodka you used, right, as being 10-15 ounces?

So after that mixture was created, you then added filtered water to "water it down" a bit for consistency's sake (so it wasn't total clumps you were dumping into the secondary), right?

I'm doing a 3-gallon all-grain batch, and plan to follow your advice--not adding it to the boil but all to the secondary. Maybe I'll add 1-1/2 jars of it (mixed with vodka/water) to the secondary. I also plan to have a small jar of Watkins peanut butter extract available at bottling as a just-in-case/pb-boost measure.

You haven't made it again, have you? If so, how's it going?

Thanks again for your help with this one.

Mischief,

Let me get this straight, if I may (I'm brewing a PB/Chocolate stout next weekend). You say that you dumped the jar into a plastic container and added vodka, stirring. You say that "it was at least 10-15 ounces"; you're talking about how much vodka you used, right, as being 10-15 ounces?

So after that mixture was created, you then added filtered water to "water it down" a bit for consistency's sake (so it wasn't total clumps you were dumping into the secondary), right?

I'm doing a 3-gallon all-grain batch, and plan to follow your advice--not adding it to the boil but all to the secondary. Maybe I'll add 1-1/2 jars of it (mixed with vodka/water) to the secondary. I also plan to have a small jar of Watkins peanut butter extract available at bottling as a just-in-case/pb-boost measure.

You haven't made it again, have you? If so, how's it going?

Thanks again for your help with this one.

You seem to have the gist of it. I haven't done it again and probably won't until late spring at the earliest. As i've said previously, I'd rethink how I did the PB into secondary just because it was a pain to do it the way I did. I still stand behind using vodka to sterilize the PB powder, mainly because I have a sneaky suspicion that the alcohol leached some of the flavor and allowed it to be noticeable in the beer. You're method described above is probably how I'll do it next time. Soak in vodka enough to sterilize, then use boiled water (sterilized) to get to an acceptable consistency for transferring into secondary container...

Great stuff--thanks.

I wonder if soaking the PB2 in vodka for a week would help, in the same manner of soaking vanilla (or coffee) beans in vodka to make a stronger, more flavorful extract--then dumping it all into the secondary. I suppose it couldn't hurt, right?

Just looking to maximize the PB flavor; they don't call me Cloyboy for nothing! I'm really hoping to make this desserty, and I'm adding some flaked oats in there as well as lactose to up the body and potential creaminess. Trying to get as close as possible to replicating a Johnny Rockets' peanut-butter/chocolate malt but with alcohol and a beery touch to it. Okay, a bit more than a beery "touch," but you know what I mean.

Any thoughts on that idea?

Cheers, and have a terrific weekend.

Great stuff--thanks.

I wonder if soaking the PB2 in vodka for a week would help, in the same manner of soaking vanilla (or coffee) beans in vodka to make a stronger, more flavorful extract--then dumping it all into the secondary. I suppose it couldn't hurt, right?

Just looking to maximize the PB flavor; they don't call me Cloyboy for nothing! I'm really hoping to make this desserty, and I'm adding some flaked oats in there as well as lactose to up the body and potential creaminess. Trying to get as close as possible to replicating a Johnny Rockets' peanut-butter/chocolate malt but with alcohol and a beery touch to it. Okay, a bit more than a beery "touch," but you know what I mean.

Any thoughts on that idea?

Cheers, and have a terrific weekend.

My biggest complaint/disappointment/whatever with my first attempt was that it was definitely too deep on the chocolate flavor and not sweet like a Reeses cup would be. Mash higher than you would feel comfortable and add more lactose than you originally planned. This shouldn't be a sessionable beer by any means. This is a dessert beer and should be enjoyed in single servings after a big meal. I finished in the low 20s and probably should have shot for finishing in the low 30s instead...

Totally and absolutely, man. I'm thinking Southern Tier-style (as in their Choklat and Creme Brulee stouts). While mine won't be 10% (more like 5.5%), I do want it sweet and creamy. Sounds like we share the same basic concept--dessert in a big way. I'll be shooting for 158/159F to mash, and the 3 gallons will likely have 1.5 pounds of lactose in the boil (with the option to add more at bottling if it's somehow still not sweet/desserty enough). Does 1.5 lbs. seem like enough? I'm not at all afraid to go nuts with the stuff.

Hey, if it works out decently, I'll imperialize it next time 'round--and there'll definitely be a next time if it comes out as hoped.

Hey, you're in Sayreville. Not far away at all from Hoboken. Perhaps we can kick it on a brew day at some point.

Hey, you're in Sayreville. Not far away at all from Hoboken. Perhaps we can kick it on a brew day at some point.

I'm at a loss on the amount of lactose. From what I know about it, it doesn't provide a lot of sweetness.

As for shared brew days, I'm game, but with 2 kids and a 90 year old house, I don't get out much at all, but will gladly have you down here for brewing, beers and billiards once the weather warms a bit...

I would NOT add regular peanut butter to any beer. The high oil content will kill your head retention and also can't be that great for your beer. I would definitely go with the direction that others have suggested in going with the PB2.

I'm at a loss on the amount of lactose. From what I know about it, it doesn't provide a lot of sweetness.

As for shared brew days, I'm game, but with 2 kids and a 90 year old house, I don't get out much at all, but will gladly have you down here for brewing, beers and billiards once the weather warms a bit...

Count me in too! I'm right across the bridge in South River.

I'll be referring back to this thread in the future as I want to do a PB&J Amber for the gf. Different I know but we'll never know if we don't try.

JadeMonkey: I wouldn't at all be against us three doing a Central/Northern NJ brew day. I'd offer to host, but it doesn't sound like Mischief has too much travel time on weekends. Though I've been known to take a Mon/Fri off for a brew day....

Mischief: Check yer PMs, mate.

I would NOT add regular peanut butter to any beer. The high oil content will kill your head retention and also can't be that great for your beer. I would definitely go with the direction that others have suggested in going with the PB2.

Regular straight from the jar, you are absolutely correct. The oils would not only kill head retention but also increase the chances of your beer turning rancid.

That said, I've seen people, prior to the invention of PB2, de-oil their peanut butter, but it takes weeks to do.

Along the lines of PB2, but cheaper, if you have a Trader Joes near you 9not sure if it's a west coast only thing), they have a Peanut Butter Flour. 16oz is like $3.49. Heard a rumor it's going to be discontinued, so I'm going to clean out our store. :D

Anyway, just because, this chef compared PB2, Fitnutz and the TJ PB flour...
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html

Hey Mischief,

I'll be racking my now-chocolate stout on top of 1.5 jars of PB2 (it's a 3-gallon batch) that I've had mixed with vodka for a week or so now. Did you taste any of the vodka in your final product? I'm concerned, as you'd said you were. Just making sure. I'll be watering it down somewhat to pour it into the secondary (along with vanilla beans), and will be racking the beer on top of it, then letting it sit for 2 to 3 weeks.

Thoughts on that? Big thanks!
Nige

Hey Mischief,

I'll be racking my now-chocolate stout on top of 1.5 jars of PB2 (it's a 3-gallon batch) that I've had mixed with vodka for a week or so now. Did you taste any of the vodka in your final product? I'm concerned, as you'd said you were. Just making sure. I'll be watering it down somewhat to pour it into the secondary (along with vanilla beans), and will be racking the beer on top of it, then letting it sit for 2 to 3 weeks.

Thoughts on that? Big thanks!
Nige

I didn't detect a hint of vodka in mine, and I used way more than I was comfortable with. My base was a complex stout to begin with so any and all of the alcohol was completely hidden.

Great, thanks for the reassurance. Monday's racking day, and I won't worry about the vodka flavor coming through, then. I'm hoping the vanilla beans (they've been chopped, scraped, and soaked in Maker's Mark bourbon for a week or so) will help me realize a milk-chocolate flavor; also, I've got some really great-smelling/-tasting chocolate extract that I'll add at bottling if need be. Smells pretty much JUST LIKE the chocolate aroma from Southern Tier's Choklat!! Wouldn't be surprised if they used it (Watkins brand) in that brew at kegging/bottling.

Great, thanks for the reassurance. Monday's racking day, and I won't worry about the vodka flavor coming through, then. I'm hoping the vanilla beans (they've been chopped, scraped, and soaked in Maker's Mark bourbon for a week or so) will help me realize a milk-chocolate flavor; also, I've got some really great-smelling/-tasting chocolate extract that I'll add at bottling if need be. Smells pretty much JUST LIKE the chocolate aroma from Southern Tier's Choklat!! Wouldn't be surprised if they used it (Watkins brand) in that brew at kegging/bottling.

If you don't mind sending me the information on that chocolate extract, i'd appreciate it! Since I'm 100% kegging, I'm looking into killing the yeast and backsweetening a batch to get the ultimate chocolate/peanut butter flavor...

Damn, I envy you. I'd love to be able to kill the yeast at 30 (or 40!) to make sure it's desserty.

I used Watkins Chocolate Extract:
http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail.cfm?Product=21398&gcatalogLocale=USA

Probably any good-quality chocolate extract will do; doesn't have to be Watkins, but it does smell Choklat-y, though. When you brewing it again?

You're gonna backsweeten with lactose, right? I enjoy all the math behind that process. Kinda crazy!

If you want, you can email me if you need more info: [email protected]

I was talking to Joe Short about his PB stout awhile back and he said he uses the equivalent of 1 1/3 lb of actual peanuts for 5g. I can't remember where he used them though, unfortunately, since this was a year and a half ago. When I asked about the oils, he just said, "I just roll with it. You're racking out from under it anyway".

Update (for any interested): On Monday (3/7/11), I put the following into my sanitized 3-gallon carboy (secondary), then racked my chocolate stout onto it:

- 1.5 jars of PB2 that I'd mixed into/soaked in vodka for almost two weeks
- 1.5 vanilla beans that I'd chopped, scraped out, and soaked in Maker's Mark for almost two weeks
- 1.2 lbs. of lactose, mixed in water and boiled for 10 minutes, then cooled to 70F (I'd dumbly forgotten to add it to the kettle on brew day). I actually mixed this cooled mixture into the PB2/vodka mixture to water it down nicely, making it easily pourable into the carboy.

Must say, when I sampled it before adding the airlock--granted it'd just been mixed thoroughly--it was dynamite. Very peanut-buttery, nicely chocolatey, and not just cocoa flavored, either, but chocolatey. I brewed it with cocoa powder, but the vanilla must've brought out/helped give the perception of actual chocolate. I was thrilled with it as it was, and if it stays that way, I'd still be happy--can only see it improving over the next two weeks 'til bottling, though. <fingers crossed>

Will update on bottling day.

Hey guys,

I love these recipe ideas. I plan on doing a 5g batch with 6lbs DME this week (2nd batch ever for me). I want a less deserty beer than you guys, I think, and I want the PB and chocolate flavors to be noticeable but not strong. I plan on using nigel's amounts + 2/3. Do you think an OG of 1.060 will be good enough, or should I order some more? Would you guys add cocoa AND lacose during boil, then PB2/beans infusions at secondary? How long in primary? Do your really put the vodka and bourbon in with the PB2/beans?

Thanks a ton. Any other suggestions for my scenario are greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about this beer.

Edit: I was thinking of trying this new product from PB2 http://www.amazon.com/Powdered-Cocoa-Peanut-Butter-New/dp/B0043WOANY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299967220&sr=8-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Skultch,

No need to make it an imperial stout. My stout was around 6%. I'm looking for massive flavors, so you may not want to add 2/3s to my stuff. (Or is that because my batch was 3 gallons?) I added cocoa (5 oz.) near the very end of the boil (after mixing it with bottled water to make it less clumpy in the kettle), and I'd definitely add lactose to the boil (I've read at the beginning and also at or near flameout--I'd add it sooner than later), but I forgot it on brew day. You've got all the additions correct. I had it 2-1/2 weeks in the primary, but 1-1/2 would probably be fine. You may want it a bit longer, like 2 weeks, in the secondary so that all the new flavors meld properly.

I did cover the beans with bourbon in a sanitized jar, and mixed the PB2 with vodka, though bourbon or any spirit would work (rum could be good, too, especially dark rum). From what Mischief Brewing said, the vodka isn't tasteable in the final product, but it helps draw the flavors whatever's soaking in it and also helps sanitize it a bit, as not much if anything can live in spirits like that.

For chocolate flavor, I'd stick with good quality unsweetened cocoa powder. The cocoa PB2 has cocoa powder, but you don't know how much and how much flavor it'll impart. You may have great results, though. If you try it, keep updating us.

Good luck, and have fun with that brew. And welcome aboard.
Nige

Thanks Nige!

Yes, I figured going from 3g to 5g, I would just add 2/3 to your recipe, but you are right, I'm not looking for as big of a flavor. I want a more anytime kinda beer, not a desert only beer. I guess what I'm looking for is a Milk Chocolate stout, with a little more than a hint of PB. I want the PB to be there, but I just don't want the PB to overpower the chocolate, and I still want it to taste at least a little bit like a normal sweet stout.

I will probably do 2 weeks in primary, but really only to time it with the vodka/bourbon infusions. I'm not a fan of rum, so I'll stick with the Maker's.

I will also remain flexible with the secondary additions. That way, I can adjust amounts to my liking, depending on the taste at the end of primary.

Edit: I adjusted my recipe in a calculator, and it looks like the OG will now be 1065. I was planning on using one packet of Muttons dry, since I already have it. Should I double pitch, or use a starter? I was thinking about buying the starter kit from Midwest, anyway.

Thanks

Back