Kegging is definitely a mixed blessing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Having recently tapping my second kegged batch (after too many bottled batches), I can definitely attest to the attraction of being able to just walk over and pour a half-glass (okay, another whole glass). Trouble is, and this has been mentioned by more than a few folks, it's almost too easy to just keep going over for more refills. I used to have just a single bottle with dinner, but lately it's 2-3 mugs over the evening, easy. I'm not complaining, mind you, but anyone wishing to lose a few pounds should consider avoiding a keg setup just on principle :cross:

more stout... higher alcohol content...

I can drink A CRAP LOAD of IPAs or Wits in one evening. If I stick to heavy stouts or beers like trios pistoles... one maybe two is perfect.

But hey, cake, candy, etc doesn't go with beer so its kind of a diet aid.

skifast1 said:
I used to have just a single bottle with dinner, but lately it's 2-3 mugs over the evening, easy. I'm not complaining, mind you, but anyone wishing to lose a few pounds should consider avoiding a keg setup just on principle :cross:

Geez, you sound like it's a joke. Seriously, this is the major reason I HAVEN'T started kegging. SWMBO even suggested I should buy a whole set-up after my brother-in-law got one last spring. But it would just be too tempting for me -- I know it. The dread of 'bottling night' is the only thing keeping a big fat beer gut at bay!

Well, My keg system has helped me...

cut down on the caffeine intake.
improve my craft because I brew more because I'm not putting off bottling.
With my carbonation.
reduce the amount of time I spend on the brew process.

UTDoug said:
But hey, cake, candy, etc doesn't go with beer so its kind of a diet aid.
On the contrary - a square of extra-dark chocolate is a great match for a cream stout! This my one-a-day heart medicine - anti-oxidants in the chocolate plus whatever it is in alcohol that makes it heart-friendly (in moderation). But as the old saying goes: "Everything in moderation, especially moderation" :mug:

Not having a keg set up because you think you will drink more is like having a wodden block under your gas pedal so you don't speed Or... getting rid of the fridge because you eat too much. If you don't want to drink more don't. If you don't want to eat more don't.:rockin:
Damn I need a beer now!!!!!!!!:)

It would be difficult for me to compare, since I only bottled one batch. About the only time I have trouble limiting my consumption is at parties and even then knowing I have an hour to 90 minute drive home keeps consumption down.

I had a lot more trouble when I was drinking wine. I'd finish the bottle and it would go to waist anyway!

I say drink all the tap you want, and go buy a deep fryer too. At least you'll be goin' out in styyyyle. :rockin:

What up Revere, MA...how's about those Pats!

Run to the fridge for a bottle or a pour...I've got issues either way!

Except with the pour, I don't have to crack a cap or rinse a bottle and I can fill that damn pint to the rim (oh yea, less trips to the fridge)!!!

:rockin:

Ol' Grog said:
Just do what I do, drink only on weekends.

That what I do. Friday through Sunday, but occasionally on Wednesdays and every now and then on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and of course on Monday holidays.

EdWort said:
That what I do. Friday through Sunday, but occasionally on Wednesdays and every now and then on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and of course on Monday holidays.

Sounds like what I'm doing too. I got the keg setup last year and overdid it a bit at first. I'd say if your drinking BMC or whatever... too much of anything will give you a beer gut.

Well, I kind of followed Mr. Wort this past week. I was stuck in the house with all the ice we got from last Thursday night up to this past Wednesday morning....with a THREE year old....let's say the brew was a very welcomed friend and she even helped me brew two batches. But to her, beer is still "yucky."

Back