What else w/ Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I collected the yeast from an Alt I racked over a couple of weeks ago. I started a starter with some last night. Now, I just need to decide what to brew with it. I see that Wyeast lists American Wheat as a good contender, but I have a batch of that fermenting away w 05. I'm thinking I'll brew an American Pale. My basement is staying at about 64-66 degrees this time of year.

1007 makes a wonderful version of nearly any german lager. I'd say get your hands on some german vienna malt and do a vienna/saaz smash. mmmmmmm....

1007 is good for any ale where you want to minimize yeast flavors and showcase hops and/or malt flavors. I think of it as a european equivalent of pacman due to its neutral and minerally finish. I'd recommend lower fermentation temps, though. If you can control it just below 60F it will finish quite neutral, at higher temperature it will produce Belgian-like fruitiness and diacetyl. The vienna/saaz is a great idea.

While we're on the subject of 1007. I used it for the first time 2 weeks ago. I cold crashed it this past Wednesday at 38F and it still has not dropped clear. Ideally I want to wait until it drops clear without using any finings before racking to keg. I know this is a poor flocculator but any idea how long before it completely drops clear at that temp? Thanks.

I've never gotten a 1007 beer to drop totally clear. I have one on tap that was kegged, cold-crashed @32F for two weeks, then force carbed in my ghettorator. After three weeks @40F it is just now starting to clear up, but it still has a moderate haze.

I generally rely on whirlfloc and cold crashing for clarity. I never use finings - if a batch is hazy after my usual treatment I just ignore it.

Latest posts

Back