Hello from a Newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murl

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just signed up, I have been reading here a few days. I have been brewing kit beer for a little while on and off but have just gotten back at it again. I use the Cooper's kit. I just brewed a dark ale which turned out very nice with a hint of maple. I plan to do the coopers irish stout next and I hope this beer turns out great, I am a stout lover, Guinness is my favorite. Is there anything I can add or do more efficiently that will help this beer turn out better? Someone said to use less water not the full 23L but maybe back it off to 20L, does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks in advance

I think the biggest complaints I've seen from the Cooper's kits is that the yeast is less than satisfactory. Read up on possibly buying a better strain of yeast. As far as less water, I wouldn't think that's necessary. You'll make stronger beer, but it won't be as balanced.

And my biggest hint is to always control the temperature of fermentation. It makes a world of difference.

Other than that, go for it, and have fun.

+1 for fermenting temps. I have had some beers come out ok at temps in the 70's (F), but the best results have been from beers where I got the wort temp to the 60's (F) for the first few days of fermenting. Since I have no way of controlling my storage room temp, I store my fermenter in a drum case full of water and drop in ice blocks every morning to achive the cooler temp.

Anytime a kit tells you to use the can of malt extract and a couple of lbs of table sugar, replace the sugar with malt extract.

In the case of a stout, the can of extract and 3 lbs dark malt extract will make an excellent beer.

Anytime a kit tells you to use the can of malt extract and a couple of lbs of table sugar, replace the sugar with malt extract.

In the case of a stout, the can of extract and 3 lbs dark malt extract will make an excellent beer.

So I should replace the dextrose with a dark malt extract? Could you give me an example of what you would use? Should you still use the Light Dry Malt extract that comes with the kit? Sorry for all of the questions I'm still very green when it comes to making beer.

Back