My lager looks/tastes/feels like an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcryan2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First attempt at a lager... I used the Northern Brewer European Lager kit. Brewed June 21st. 6 gallon full boil with RO water, OG was 1.052 @ 67F. Primary at 48F until July 3rd. Decent krausen by June 26. Seemed stuck at 1.02, on July 3, aggitated carboy. 1.017 @ 48F two days later. Diacetyl rest to 60F on July 5th/6th. Back to 48F until July 27th. Kegged with FG @ 1.010and has been at 40F since. CO2 force carbonated.

Tasted the finished brew for the first time this week. Much more in the ale taste and feel category. There isn't the crispness I hoped for. Also seems much heavier in feel.

Thoughts, ideas, don't expect this much from an extract ;) ......

Not as much as it should be I suspect. The keg has been at 15 pounds of pressure for a few weeks. A pint glass has less than a half inch of head on pouring but it's gone very quickly. There isn't the rising string of bubbles at all. It is kinda flat.

Stupid question alert: What are the taste differences besides top vs bottom fermenting?

I used a yeast starter - Wyeast from the kit into a liter of wort the day before. Shaken several times then allowed to settle out for several hours. I read one post where he ran his yeast starter for a lager through three cycles of fresh wort before pitching. Will give that a try on my next lager.

Brewed on 6/21. Had light krausen on 6/23 with minimal bubbling in the airlock, good krausen by the 23rd with 4 - 6 bubbles/minute.

Back