Dogfish Head 60 minute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Not having had this brew in ages and when I did it wasnt purchased by me....is this stuff worth the $11 per 6 pack Ive been seeing it advertised as in the stores.. what contributes to this enourmously high cost?

It's a brewery gaining a lot of popularity, so you're paying a little for the name. I'd pay $11 once just to give it a try, as I haven't ever had a Dogfish Head brew.

I think that Dogfish is over-rated for many of their beers. However, their IPA's are worth the price, I pick them up whenever I see them.
I justify the price by the ABV, a six-pack of the 60 min is about 8-9 regular beers.

But then again, I also only pay about $8 a six-pack.

I don't even think their IPAs are worth the price, to be honest. The 60, yes (and I even model my IPA sort-of like theirs with lots of msallish hop additions). However, the 90 and 120 don't justify the price. Most of there beers seem to have a gimmick to them and are (IMHO) mediocre beers.

I will admit that the 90 in draught was pretty damn good the one time I had it, but it tastes totally different (worse) out of the bottle.

-walker

The only DFH I've tried was the Indian Brown Ale. I did not care for it. I can't recall now exactly what it was I disliked about it, but I remember throwing away the last two bottles after they sat in my fridge for two months untouched.

I really like the 60, that's the only one I've tried. I'll prolly grab a 4-pack of the 90 the next time I see it, just to try it for myself. But, that 60 is one of the better brews I've had recently (not as good as my version of Walker's IPA, though...)

Like any beer that is bottled and stored like absolute sheit until you buy it, YMMV with it. My 60 has a weird bite on my gums after every swallow. Almost a dry feeling.

Like the 90, have a bottle of 120 in the basement.

Absolutely love their World Wide Stout. If you like strong stouts give that one a shot.

I've only had the 60 and the Indian Brown Ale. The 60 might be worth 8 or 9, not 11, and I didn't really care for the Brown. I've got their pumpkin and 90 in the fridge (gotta love the liquor store that lets you mix and match) but haven't tried them yet.

The 60 isn't bad, just a weird bite at the end.

I really, really like the 60, and it's only about $8 for a sixer around here - maybe a buck or two more than I would usually pay.

I've got a bottle of their Golden Shower in the fridge right now - a continuously-hopped "Imperial Pilsner." Had to buy it, in large part to see the expression on my wife's face.

Golden Shower, huh? That's not quite the sort of thing I want to think about while drinking beer.

Dogfish head definitely has good beers, but they are a bit too much on the wallet. I usually try them all, but I don't buy them regularly.

If you want a darn good IPA for a good price then you can't go wrong with Hop Rod Rye. That's one of my favs and it's usually under $5.00 a bomber. Titan IPA is also good. Hercules IIPA is darn good but might be slightly more expensive.

Back