Increasing ABV in Witbier Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
I am brewing a Witbier from a Midwest kit and would like to boost the ABV a bit. Would adding 1 lb. of light DME to the boil be reasonable to do, or should I leave well enough alone and just brew the kit? How much will that boost the ABV in a 5-gallon batch? I have a two quart yeast starter with Wyeast 3944 ready to go. Thanks for the help.

I have made the midwest kit(extract i presume) and it's nice man. Why up the ABV? I got a few "Big beers" in my rotation but the style calls for it. I have however (Imperialized) recipe's. That will drive your abv up, but sometimes the flavor profile goes to hell and you gotta use a very resilient yeast.

Thank you both for the feedback. I brewed it today, as is, according to the recipe. Let's see how it comes out.

With my homebrews I used the BrewVint Alcohol Boost from Austin Homebrew and it bumped up the ABV by a little under 1%:

Austin Homebrew Supply

I'm still pretty new to homebrewing so I'm not sure what others feel about doing this...did it affect the taste of your brews?

how much did said "brewvint" cost (Edit nm... 2$)because all it is is half malt half corn sugar.... which you can add all by yourself.

I'd just go ahead and make your own mix. Just get a bag of corn sugar.

Just add some clear candi-sugar to up your ABV, but be careful as it will lighten the body slightly. Many Belgian brews, including Wits, incorporate candi-sugar. You can make your own, takes about 30 minutes and there is a tutorial on the Wiki.

I'm late to the party, but I recently brewed a Wit (labeled a 'Grand Cru') from Papazian's book. In addition to the typical Wit ingredients I added 2 lbs honey. It's going to take a while to age, but I'll be happy to report any results.

Back