Trellis on House Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trellis.jpg

I plan on rigging up a twine trellis to two mounds per the picture. I intend on running the twine from pet leash stakes to eye bolts attached to the underside of my house's roof. The twine will be tied to quick release clips, so come harvest time I simply unclip the clips from the eye bolts, harvest, then clip back up.

Has anyone had experience attaching eye bolts or fasteners to the underside of their roof as I intend to do? Any suggestions, warnings, or questions in general?

i believe your theory is sound, it's what i'd planned to do. i hadn't thought of the clips, thats a good idea. i'm planting 2 rhizomes per mound and will run more strings per mound, for the 3 or 4 strongest shoots. pre-drilling the holes for the eye hooks will aid installation. p.s., don't fall off the ladder! good luck.

You don't even really need to have them pegged down in the ground that hard. The hops are going to get so big/heavy and entwined so fast you won't know what hit you.

Just make sure you go into something sturdy and use a pully so you only have to go up once, end of season simply lower pully. (they are cheap and small at home depot or lowes.) Its no fun humping down a ladder with hops all in your face.

I did something similar but put the eye bolt into the siding. This will allow me to un-clip the top from my upstairs window since I dont have a ladder long enough to reach. Also, I stung mine up in reverse of what you show. One eye bolt in the siding and secure the line at the bottom in 2 spots. Minimizes the number of holes you put in the house, the number of clips and eye bolts you buy (I know, they dont cost too much) and the amount of time your on a ladder 20+ feet in the air. Both ways should work though.

I was trying to avoid drilling into the siding in case 1) i messed something up, and 2) i figured the holes would be more concealed if i put them on the underside of the roof.

I did contemplate using a pully system when i got the materials. I stood there looking at them wondering if it'd be worth it. Maybe to the eye bolts i'll attach a pully, then just run the twine back down and clip to the staked pet leash thing. I could lower at will then...

Also, don't make the angle too steep. I found that the bines won't continue to grow up the line, instead they just start dangling off. You would probably be much better off just doing straight up and down lines, or lines that are nearly vertical.

I was trying to avoid drilling into the siding in case 1) i messed something up, and 2) i figured the holes would be more concealed if i put them on the underside of the roof.

I was worried at first it would be noticeable hole in my siding but my carpenter dad and brother assured me you would hardly be able to see such a small hole from the ground, especially if the hole gets filled with caulk of a similar color to the siding.

My concern with this, as I'm doing it myself, is that the sun will bake the bines with reflected light. My house is a darker shade of blue, not super dark, but not light either.
I'm not sure if this will be a problem for me... or for you.

Also, don't make the angle too steep. I found that the bines won't continue to grow up the line, instead they just start dangling off. You would probably be much better off just doing straight up and down lines, or lines that are nearly vertical.

I'm confused - do you mean too shallow (more angle away from up & down)? Isn't straight up and down the ultimate "steep"?

I plan on having the twine damn near vertical, but the determining factor will be how much space between the two eye bolts (per mound) they need at the top. I figured a two foot split between the tops of the "V's" would be enough, but i have nothing to judge that by.

Also, fwiw, the color of my aluminum siding is white, and the exposure isn't due south, so i don't think i'll get any baking.

Put the bolts into the inside of the end eve. It should be 2-by and would be stronger than going into the side of the house or the roof itself.

Back