Contactor problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfsack32

Reaction score
So I'm using one of p-j's fine wiring diagrams with 2 5500w heating elements, I have everything wired ready to go, went to complete the first water test last night and I had no power going to elements (neither of them) so I did some testing and I have power to the contactors (can't rememebr the brand but there c240b) I'm assuming I have the contactor backwards. I have power coming from my switch, coming out of the ssr. I guess my question is does anyone know if I have this wired correctly? How can I tell which end is main power in and power out, and where do my the nuetral and positive wire go on the coil. I'll post a picture thanks in advanced

Doesn't matter on the front or back.. think of them as a bridge.

Sounds like your coils are wired up incorrectly. So you have the switch running to one side to activate it.. are they 120v, did you slap the neutral on the other side?

Pictures bruh

Here is the HLT side, the boil is wired the same way

1444409600837-834708912.jpg

Alright, let's start with simple diagnosing.

I'm assuming the black line on the coil is going to your switch. When you flip it can you hear an audible click coming from the contactor?

Use a multi-meter to see if you have any power flowing to the sides of the contactor.

So your coil is not activating. Are you sure you have a 120v model and not 220v?

What's feeding into the switch, are you sure that's getting power?

It is a 240. Yes the contactor is getting power coming in, there 158.4 on both inlets

If the coil is 220v then that's your problem. You're trying to power it with 120v.

The model you listed is 120v, so you likely have the right part.. just starting with simple questions first. Wouldn't be the first time someone received the wrong version on this forum. The sticker on the side will say what coil it has.

Wow boy do i feel like an idiot! Some how I had the wrong d**m fuse in! Guess I should have checked that. Problem solved and hopefully just hopefully I'll be able to get the water test done and brew tonight! Thank you guys so much for the help! Really thank you so much!!

Back