The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
martinworswick said:
i just read this whole thread,am i the only bolton wanderers(who?) out there? the f.a. cup final was in sight last week and they choked,the might as well have just stayed in the changing room.
gonna upset arsenal this weekend though!

Given our track record of diabolical collapse you just might be the favorites....

Man, I'm crazy behind. Seems like if I don't keep it going the MLS talk kind of dies down. I've been too busy with end-of-the-semester school crap... need I get my priorities straight.

Here's the sparknotes version of what's up since I last updated:

April 8, 2011

Chicago Fire SC at Seattle Sounders FC -- 1-2
Sounders finally get full points without Montero. Zakuani puts seals the deal with a pretty goal.

New York Red Bulls at Philadelphia Union -- 0-1
Overall pretty slow match but shows that Philly is actually in the race for the East this season.

Los Angeles Galaxy at D.C. United -- 1-1
Grrr so angry! Great goal by Magee early on, the G's play defence well for the rest of the match until the very end when Omar Gonzalez breathed wrong on Charlie Davies and dude went down for a tying PK. I'm not mad at CD9 or Gonzilla, they were both doing their jobs; I'm mad at the officiating. Props to CD9 for doing The Bernie as his celebration dance.

Real Salt Lake at New England Revolution -- 2-0
Typical RSL dominance of inferior Eastern competition.

Toronto FC at San Jose Earthquakes -- 1-1
Both clubs looked solid but the atmosphere was lacking. SJ's 1906 Ultras were staging a silent protest towards their Front Office due them getting slapped with a probation resulting from a complaint from ONE PERSON on twitter about pseudo-offensive tifo. Here's a really good post from the Ultras blog about the entire debacle and their defense. (Also worth noting is that spellcheck on here is terrible. It doesn't recognize debacle and it's making me second guess my spelling of defense.)

Columbus Crew at Chivas USA -- 0-0
Meh, as long as the Goats don't win I'm happy.

April 10, 2011
Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Houston Dynamo -- 1-3
The Caps had trouble putting goals away without their DP Hassli, who was on suspension for a stupid booking involving him taking his jersey off to celebrate a goal with an identical jersey underneath.

April 13, 2011
Los Angeles Galaxy at Toronto FC -- 0-0
Well, they managed to scrape away with a point on their second consecutive road-match. Absolutely atrocious officiating, resulting in three LA players missing the next match.

Colorado Rapids at Real Salt Lake -- 0-1
Espindola picked up a very late stoppage-time goal to continue RSL's home unbeaten streak, as well as continue their perfect start to the season.

April 14, 2011
Chicago Fire SC at Portland Timbers -- 2-4
Holy crap this match was excellent. Portland, who came into this match with 1 point, completely dominated (with the exception of a 5-minute suckfest) with the support of Timbers Army. And speaking of Timbers Army, HOLY CRAP! Talk about a supports club! As a whole they sang the National Anthem (gaining national attention) and were just spectacular the entire 90+ minutes. And their Tetris song is awesome! Also, quite happy in their rendition you can actually hear them sing "O'er the ramparts we watched..." instead of "Over ramparts we watched".... drives me nuts when people singing the NA don't know the proper words.

Highlights

April 16, 2011
Seattle Sounders FC at Philadelphia Union -- 1-1
Despite the god-awful rain during the match, Philly looked excellent in passing and off-ball movement. They should have been rewarded for their play but sadly lost full-points when Fernandez put one in in closing minutes.

Chivas USA at Vancouver Whitecaps FC -- 0-0
While there were some good chances, overall an uneventful match. Caps fans were great as usual, though.

D.C. United at Toronto FC -- 3-0
United looking infinitely better than last season (read: last place every week.) TFC... well, they're building.

San Jose Earthquakes at New York Red Bulls -- 0-3
Duuuuude! Luke Rodgers was friggin on fire, netting two goals and assisting Henry for the Frenchman's first goal of the season (which was an absolute beaut, btw.) Absolute domination at Red Bull Arena.

Sporting Kansas City at Columbus Crew -- 0-1
The Crew finally shake off the cobwebs.... in front of a sad crowd, unfortunately.

April 17, 2011
Chicago Fire SC at Los Angeles Galaxy -- 1-2
The G's pull out a win at Toyota Park, despite being on a 9-day-3-game roadtrip and missing their stars (Becks, Landy Cakes and Juninho.)

FC Dallas at Portland Timbers -- 2-3
The Timbers once again pull away at home only to suck-it-up for a brief couple of minutes and let the visitors stay in the match. Timbers Army... once again stellar.

New England Revolution at Houston Dynamo -- 0-1
Pretty slow one up until the last 10 minutes or so.

April 20, 2011
CONCACAF Champions League Final, 1st leg -- Real Salt Lake at Monterrey (MEX) -- 2-2
Really exciting match, great back-and-forth, RSL seeing some competition that can actually slow down the quick midfield movement that their known for. Overall, though, the Royals played amazingly in a hostile venue and got two away-goals which will help if they tie in the 2nd leg. I'm so proud of our league! I can't wait to see them in the Club World Cup!

April 21, 2011
New York Red Bulls at D.C. United -- 4-0
A straight-up beating. NY looked excellent and proved they should be on top in the East. Henry put two away, his first being an almost exact replica of his goal from the previous match (with a Solli assist instead of Rodgers.) The final nail in the coffin goal from Agudelo was spectacular... goal of the year contender for sure.

This is the goal the ass-tards at Pardon the Interruption gave a C+ and pretty much called it rec-league material.

April 22, 2011
Seattle Sounders FC at Colorado Rapids -- 1-0
Montero finally puts on away after missing a couple matches due to a wrist surgery... still rocking the cast, though.

FINALLY CAUGHT UP! Stay tuned for weekend previews and other stats

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay okay, so I'm sure some of you are going to be all "tl;dr"

At least check out the videos and their corresponding match summaries.

I still get chills when I watch the TA National Anthem

Okay, here's the preview for today:

Chivas USA at San Jose Earthquakes -- 1:00pm PDT; Telefutura, CSN California, MatchDay Live (Canada only)
Chivas is still looking for a win but SJ has been looking strong and won't give up points easily at home. EDIT: I could only post 10 pics per post (say that 5 times fast) and I figured if I should drop any crest images it would have to be my G's in-state rivals.

columbus_150.png
@
toronto_150.png

Columbus Crew at Toronto FC -- 1:00pm PDT; GolTV (CAN), ONN (Columbus), MatchDay Live, Direct Kick
Both clubs looking to really get their season rolling. This one should be very back and forth.

dallas_150.png
@
vancouver_100.png

FC Dallas at Vancouver Whitecaps FC -- 4:00pm PDT; RSN (VAN), Fox Sports SW+ (Dallas), MatchDay Live (Dallas blackout), Direct Kick (USA)
Vancouver still missing a couple key players to injury but have still be thriving. Dallas has been looking a bit shaky but will be practically full-force.

sportingkc_logo.png
@
newengland_150.png

Sporting Kansas City at New England Revolution -- 4:30pm PDT; CSN (NE), KSMO (KC), MatchDay Live (KC blackout), Direct Kick
Sporting continue their 10-match roadtrip while their new stadium is being built. Both clubs have been unpredictable and inconsistent, and SKC will be missing DP Omar Bravo to a sports hernia. Be sure to check this one out if you want to see the Rev's new jersey sponsor in action.

houston_150.png
@
chicago_150.png

Houston Dynamo at Chicago Fire SC -- 5:30pm PDT; CSN (CHI), KHOU/Azteca (HOU), MatchDay Live (CHI blackout), Direct Kick
Chicago have been struggling while Houston, though patchy, have been making improvements. Houston will still be missing Brian Ching and are going to need to rely on Cam Weaver to do some damage.

portland_150.png
@
losangeles_150.png

Portland Timbers at Los Angeles Galaxy -- 8:00pm PDT, Fox Soccer Channel, MatchDay Live (CAN)
My G's are finally coming home to host a surging Portland team. They will be getting all of their stars back and should have no problem dominating the pitch. It's unfortunate as I've really enjoyed rooting for Portland... but at the end of the day my heart belongs to the Blue, White and Gold.

After a good start, the Fire have been quite disappointing.

True true but they haven't been awful. They have one of the highest shot-on-goal counts, they just either haven't been able to finish or have been stuffed by excellent individual keeper efforts.

They just need to clean up their backline. They have the second worst goals-allowed-average in the league at 2.2, right behind Sporting's 2.25

Like I said in my preview, Houston has been spotty... I think a strong and smart effort could result in points for the Fire.

Recap time, suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:

Chivas USA at San Jose Earthquakes -- 2-1
While I don't like seeing either of my in-state rivals win, it's more disheartening to watch little-sister Chivas pull out a victory... like the crotchety old man, all I can say to them is: YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY PITCH!

Attendance: 10,525 -- While I wish more people would get out there seeing as there's such a big soccer community in Northern California, that's almost a sell-out crowd. At least they know their market size.

Columbus Crew at Toronto FC -- 1-1
It was looking good for TFC... they put up a gorgeous goal before half-time but the Crew managed to rally and tie up the match. For there on it was very back and forth with each side getting chances. The Reds are looking a lot better but there's still work to be done.

Attendance: Huh, can't find the data. BMO Field was pretty bumping, though. I'd say at least 19,000.

FC Dallas at Vancouver Whitecaps FC -- 2-1
The Caps fans were awesome as usual but sadly their boys in white couldn't pull out a win. I'd say Vancouver was dominating the entire game but Dallas was able to capitalize on their opportunities. Bad news, though, that 2010 league MVP David Ferreira suffered a fractured ankle. That looks like the season for him.

Attendance: 21,000 -- That's how it's done! Good showing Vancouver.... just need to fill the remaining a$$-less seats!

Sporting Kansas City at New England Revolution -- 2-3
Kei Kamara was the star for Sporting but his efforts (with a Bunbury assist) weren't enough to stiffle New England's blue-collar work ethic. Also, the Revs were looking slick in their newly-sponsored kits.

Attendance: 11,414 -- Better, Foxborough.... better. But still, more of you need to put down chaaoow-dah and get to Gillette Stadium.

Houston Dynamo at Chicago Fire -- 1-1
Bummer, Fire fans.... but they looked focused, strong and despite the late goal the backline looked solid. Looked kind of weird not seeing Sean Johnson out there, though.

Attendance: 12,473 -- Not bad but while watching this one on TV I would have thought it was more.... mofos were loud!

Portland Timbers at Los Angeles Galaxy -- 0-3
YEAH BABY! That's how it's done! Landy Cakes is back after missing three matches and he played like he severely missed every single second. Two early goals, the first coming from a GORGEOUS rip from Chad Barrett that was very reminiscent of Agudelo's mark from earlier this week, gave the G's a chance to slow things down and really play comfortably. So happy to see them back in full-form because even though it didn't seem like it, Portland is a quality club... LA was just having a great night.

Attendance: 23,719 -- A bit below their thus-far season average, but it's still good enough to say "suck it, everybody else." :D :D :D

Houston Dynamo at Chicago Fire -- 1-1
Bummer, Fire fans.... but they looked focused, strong and despite the late goal the backline looked solid. Looked kind of weird not seeing Sean Johnson out there, though.

Attendance: 12,473 -- Not bad but while watching this one on TV I would have thought it was more.... mofos were loud!

Section 8 does a pretty good job of keeping the noise level up, but I wish the rest of the crowd would follow suit. Having a vocal outburst anywhere outside of the Section 8 end is generally greeted with strange stares and disdain....

I still get chills when I watch the TA National Anthem

I posted these vid's in another thread but it didn't go anywhere, I have season tickets to the Timbers and am a proud chanter/singer in the TA section. :rockin:

We fully bring it at every match. :ban:

I posted these vid's in another thread but it didn't go anywhere, I have season tickets to the Timbers and am a proud chanter/singer in the TA section. :rockin:

We fully bring it at every match. :ban:

Dude f**k yeah you guys do. I sing and chant with Angel City Brigade when I'm down in LA at the Home Depot Center and until you guys came around we were by far the loudest and most prominent supporters club in MLS. You guys are fantastic, but I think it's only because you have us on numbers. ;) :D

Hey, if you don't hate America I suggest you watch Real Salt Lake host Monterrey in the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions League final. It's tonight at 7pm PDT on Fox Soccer Channel, Telefutura and CONCACAFchampions.com

RSL currently have the advantage with the aggregate at 2-2, with Salt Lake having two away goals. Monterrey should be concerned as RSL have remained unbeaten at home for 37 straight matches... that's two years, mofos!

RSL win outright if:
- They win the second leg match, regardless of score
- They draw 0-0
- They draw 1-1

Monterrey win outright if:
- They win, regardless of score
- They draw 3-3 or greater

A result of a 2-2 draw would bring on the FIFA standard procedure: two 15 minute extra time halves and, if there is still no winner, a penalty shoot-out.

Support America, damnit!

WooooHoooo!!

My lot (Southampton) Got promoted back into the second tier on Monday! That is unless we somehow lose our +17 Goal diff. advantage on the last day! :D

Indeed, congratulations are in order to both Southampton for promotion to 2nd-tier and to Norwich and [insert club that wins promotion playoffs] for promotion to the premiership!

Wow, so this thread is apparently loaded with entropy... it requires constant input of energy to keep from divulging into chaos (read: thread killing.) ^_^

But this is big for fans of domestic soccer who don't always have the ability to watch MLS:

This weekend the online, DVR-style service MatchDay Live is free!

Watch all the matches this weekend, including every previous match you may have wanted to watch... they even provide condensed matches so you can watch all the action in about 15-18 minutes.

Go to this link and select Spring Preview and watch some mother-effing soccer! It's available in HD even... but sadly it runs on Microsoft Silverlight, which my computer hates (it's old) so I don't get HD.

But regardless, the video feed is pretty much seamless and I love being able to watch any match from 2011 or 2010. Plus there is a chat/twitter feature and a field tracker so you can watch goal replays and shots as you please. There's even PIP (up to 3) and you and PIP the field tracker videos so you don't interrupt your match. I purchased MDL before the season began at the discounted price ($40) and it's been worth every penny, regardless of my inability to get HD :D

I'll have the weekend preview (and the recap of this past Wednesday and yesterday) in a bit.

I think I'm going to have to SparkNotes this one. Damn finals....

Saturday, May 7

Chivas USA at RSL -- 1:00pm PDT, Telefutura, (MDL blackout due to national coverage)
RSL are looking get over their Champions League hangover, the worst of it coming from Portland snapping the Royals perfect season. The Goats are on a hot streak at the moment, having figured out the rhythm of their attack. But RSL are still running on a very long regular-season unbeaten streak at home, making Rio Tinto the only tested fortress in MLS (we'll have to wait and see on Portland and JELD-WEN field, though it's looking promising.)

Houston Dynamo at Toronto FC -- 4:00pm PDT, MatchDay Live
With TFC still struggling and Houston on a roll, it may be a tragic meeting in America's Hat (read: Canada, eh.) Houston has been shining due to rookie-star Will Bruin, dubbed by his manager and now fans as "The Dancing Bear"..... look it up, funny stuff. But his skill is nothing to laugh at considering he posted the first 2011 hat-trick in the league last weekend.

Colorado Rapids at New England Revolution -- 4:30pm PDT, MatchDay Live
A much improved NE side play host to the defending MLS Champs. All I can say to Colorado is "break a leg!" ..... oops, too soon?

Seattle Sounders FC at Columbus Crew -- 4:30pm PDT, MatchDay Live
Both clubs looked terrible in the opening weeks of the season but have since bounced back.... Columbus much more than Seattle. One of the Sounders main issues is the loss of their star Steve Zakuani, the gentleman at the butt-end of the tasteless joke in the COL-NE preview. I just hope Crew Stadium can actually fill up more than half-way to support the Yellow and Black... they've had a sad showing thus far.

FC Dallas at DC United -- 4:30pm PDT, MatchDay Live
DC is looking to end their standard of last-place from last season and have been getting some results. Dallas is coming off a win against LA (damnit) in a match that was paused in the 82' tied 1-1 due to lightning and restarted, resulting in a Brek Shae goal.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Chicago Fire SC -- 5:30pm PDT, MatchDay Live
Fire are coming off a 5-game winless slump, though their last match was a 1-1 draw with MLS Champs Colorado. Vancouver haven't really been at their best the last couple matches and may have some fatigue due to Nutrilite Canadian Championship matches.

New York Red Bulls at Los Angeles Galaxy -- 8:00pm PDT, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com (MDL blackout due to national coverage)
WOOO!!! This is it, finally time for payback from last season. My first ever live pro match was on my birthday last year when LA hosted NY. Sadly it was a 0-2 loss but it was the best sporting experience I've ever had. Currently both clubs are among the best in the league (along with RSL) and this should be a clash of big names and big skill. If both clubs play well we should see some serious match-ups in all areas of the field: Omar Gonzalez and AJ De Lagarza trying to hold back the deadly pair of Thierry Henry and Luke Rodgers, the quick fluid passing exhibited by both midfields, two top-tier international goalkeepers.... I predict this one will either be a stale-mate with a late victory goal that results from one of the backlines making the slightest mistake at the wrong time, or an all-out brawl with a combined score of no less than five.... and I base that on absolutely nothing! :D Can't wait.

SWEET BABY JEBUS!!!!! Looks like the entire city of Southampton on the pitch :D

Also, did anybody watch the LA-NY match on ESPN last night? Instant Classic.... IMO the best match of the season thus far.

Also, did anybody watch the LA-NY match on ESPN last night? Instant Classic.... IMO the best match of the season thus far.

I missed that one but my Timbers are slowly climbing the ranks. Took Real Salt Lake at home and actually undefeated at home (don't come here we are vicious fans :ban:).

I missed that one but my Timbers are slowly climbing the ranks. Took Real Salt Lake at home and actually undefeated at home (don't come here we are vicious fans :ban:).

Yeah, JELD-WEN is looking like a fortress for sure. Plus their red kits were sweeeeet on Saturday.

OK, that's it. You are officially banned from the soccer thread, you bloody girly!!

What can I say, I'm a geek for all aspects of the sport:

- Keeping track of attendance records
- Watching webcams of new stadiums go up (I sh*t you not... I've watched Sporting Kansas City's stadium since it was a plot of land)
- Admiring new kits
- Speculating where the All-Star and MLS Cup matches will be (HOME DEPOT CENTER FOR THE FINAL, BABY!)
- Getting into the hype of new expansion clubs and the unveiling of crests/kits

Seriously, I can't wait until the end of the month... that's when Montreal will officially announce the club name and unveil their crest. I don't know about kits but definitely crest.

What can I say... I have a boner for the sport.

What can I say, I'm a geek for all aspects of the sport:

- Keeping track of attendance records
- Watching webcams of new stadiums go up (I sh*t you not... I've watched Sporting Kansas City's stadium since it was a plot of land)
- Admiring new kits
- Speculating where the All-Star and MLS Cup matches will be (HOME DEPOT CENTER FOR THE FINAL, BABY!)
- Getting into the hype of new expansion clubs and the unveiling of crests/kits

Seriously, I can't wait until the end of the month... that's when Montreal will officially announce the club name and unveil their crest. I don't know about kits but definitely crest.

What can I say... I have a boner for the sport.

I can see BC Place going up from where I work. Pretty exciting.

Has anybody seen Bob Bradley's Gold Cup selections yet? Same old crap. If Jonathan Bornstein keeps getting selected, then I'm honestly going to go walk on at the next MNT camp. I like that some young guys made the squad, but why did Timothy Chandler get left off. They include Eric Lichaj, who I like, but plays wing back for Leeds(second tier in Engalnd), but leave out Chandler who plays the same position in the Bundesliga. And honestly this is all compounded by the Bornstein inclusion. He can't get time for his Mexican club team, but we have a guy that starts for Nurnberg that doesn't make the roster.

Also, do we have a young keeper that can make the roster please. As backups to Howard we are bringing Hahnemann and Rimando. Where's Guzan? If not him, then don't we have a someone that is up and coming we can give a shot? Really, is Hahnemann or Rimando ever going to play in a world cup game? Why not give someone a chance that has a future with the squad?

Dreg:
- Why the Bornstein hate? I thought he did well in the WC and I gotta back up a Kosher brotha :D

- Chandler asked to be left off due to persistent injury. He'll be missed, though

- I don't see why we need a younger keeper. Older keepers have actually been shown to be more skilled with better situational-awareness and angle-reading. And at first read I thought you were suggesting not starting Tim... which is a silly ass statement. Dude's a beast, best keeper in the world IMO. And I think Rimando is top 3 in MLS... don't see why Hartman never gets a call.

And what about Freddy Adu? Strange to see him being considered again.

I hadn't heard about Chandler asking to stay home, but I still don't like Bornstein in there. Really the only reason guys like him and Heath Pearce get any play is because we have such a gaping hole in the left back spot. I don't think Bornstein played terrible in the WC, but he adds so little to the team, and is almost always a risk to play an I'll advised square ball in our own half. In the last set of friendlies he looked horrible. As soon as any opponent discovers that they can pressure our backs and we'll just hand them the ball, then our whole team starts to panic.

As far as the keepers go, the point I was making is that neither Hahnemann nor Rimando will ever play an important role on the MNT. Howard will start every important game for us until he gets beat out by someone, retires, or gets hurt. That includes the Gold Cup. The other keepers might get a game or two in the first round against poor competition, but in the knockout rounds Howard will be playing. So if in all reality the #2 and #3 keeper get at most one game each against weak opponents, then why didn't we bring someone that shows some promise, and can contribute after Howard is no longer with the team? Howard is 31, Hahnemann 38, and Rimando 31. Those other two will never play an important role on our team because their career paths are either ahead of or right in line with Tim Howard's.

I guess the deal with Adu is that he's been getting playing time and performing well recently with his club in Turkey(second division I think). He is still young, so I don't mind them giving him a shot. I think he ran into so many obstacles after the original hype. We've all seen him do some impressive things at the youth level, and if he can be put in the proper position on the field with a good understanding of his responsibilities, then I think he can potentially be a contributor. Not a star, but a creative, change of pace, type of player that can draw fouls and put pressure on defenses.

I hadn't heard about Chandler asking to stay home, but I still don't like Bornstein in there. Really the only reason guys like him and Heath Pearce get any play is because we have such a gaping hole in the left back spot. I don't think Bornstein played terrible in the WC, but he adds so little to the team, and is almost always a risk to play an I'll advised square ball in our own half. In the last set of friendlies he looked horrible. As soon as any opponent discovers that they can pressure our backs and we'll just hand them the ball, then our whole team starts to panic.

As far as the keepers go, the point I was making is that neither Hahnemann nor Rimando will ever play an important role on the MNT. Howard will start every important game for us until he gets beat out by someone, retires, or gets hurt. That includes the Gold Cup. The other keepers might get a game or two in the first round against poor competition, but in the knockout rounds Howard will be playing. So if in all reality the #2 and #3 keeper get at most one game each against weak opponents, then why didn't we bring someone that shows some promise, and can contribute after Howard is no longer with the team? Howard is 31, Hahnemann 38, and Rimando 31. Those other two will never play an important role on our team because their career paths are either ahead of or right in line with Tim Howard's.

There's some debate as to whether it was really Chandler asking to stay home or Nuremberg asking for Chandler to stay home so he can be ready for next season. Ives discusses it a bit here: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/05/surprise-omissions-.html#more

As for Guzan, I believe he's getting married this summer, and that was going to conflict with some of the Gold Cup.

As for bornstein, I don't like him either, but not including him doesn't do much unless there's someone better to take his spot, and I'm not sure if I've seen that. Lichaj has talked about possibly playing LB for the nats, tho, and that idea intrigues me, as I would like to see both him and chandler on the field at the same time in the future, and this is a way to accomplish that, as well as filling a major hole in the lineup (if he's actually any good at LB).

I see that there's another giant dust cloud covering the Atlantic.

Arsenal just opened the door of their trophy cabinet.

I see that there's another giant dust cloud covering the Atlantic.

Arsenal just opened the door of their trophy cabinet.

CONGRATULATIONS! You just won 10,000 internets for that post!

And what about Brek Shae instead of Bornstein? Dude is young, agile, talented and really looking natural since he was moved to a fullback position. But I guess Bradley went for experience... pretty sure Shae only has one cap and that was in the friendly against Chile.

I like Shea, but I haven't see much of him in the back. I've mostly seen him playing on the wing. He has good size and seems to prefer to play wide on the left side, so I could see him transitioning to leftback. The problem I have with our left back situation is that we are continually trying to plug someone in there. The way I look at it, if we don't have a player that fits the mold, then change the mold. Our central midfield seems to frequently get out classed by other good midfields. To remedy this we usually play with 3 center mids. But we do so by going down to one forward. Why not play a 3-5-2. Keep 2 strikers in the game, have the 3 backs worry about the other teams strikers, and let the wing players worry about the flanks.

I like Shea, but I haven't see much of him in the back. I've mostly seen him playing on the wing. He has good size and seems to prefer to play wide on the left side, so I could see him transitioning to leftback. The problem I have with our left back situation is that we are continually trying to plug someone in there. The way I look at it, if we don't have a player that fits the mold, then change the mold. Our central midfield seems to frequently get out classed by other good midfields. To remedy this we usually play with 3 center mids. But we do so by going down to one forward. Why not play a 3-5-2. Keep 2 strikers in the game, have the 3 backs worry about the other teams strikers, and let the wing players worry about the flanks.

Interesting idea. My one concern (and I will state for the record that I am no expert in soccer strategy) is based off of the general lack of good distribution from our back line. Our back line tends to just clear the line and boot it halfway up the field. If we have the wings coming back to defend the flanks, my concern is that that's just two fewer guys to be there to try to win the ball and the clearance. I can just picture gooch booting it up the field, one of the forwards winning the ball but having nothing to do with it because our center mids are defensive minded and now our wings are back farther cuz they were defending the flanks.

Interesting idea. My one concern (and I will state for the record that I am no expert in soccer strategy) is based off of the general lack of good distribution from our back line. Our back line tends to just clear the line and boot it halfway up the field. If we have the wings coming back to defend the flanks, my concern is that that's just two fewer guys to be there to try to win the ball and the clearance. I can just picture gooch booting it up the field, one of the forwards winning the ball but having nothing to do with it because our center mids are defensive minded and now our wings are back farther cuz they were defending the flanks.

You know I read through the beginning and thought, "... except Gooch" and then you mention Mr. Onyewu and I'm all "Whaaaaaaa?!" I feel like he feeds decently and works especially well with Landy Cakes.

Now if Tim Ream can make it into the Starting XI we might have a chance at some possession-style play on the ground (a la RSL.... and sometimes LA if they feel like it :rolleyes:)

discnjh:
You're right about our backs propensity to belt the ball up-field. That's exactly why I would prefer giving up one defender to get a extra mid instead of giving up a forward to do the same thing. When the ball is cleared it usually bypasses the midfield altogether, so having 2 forwards increases the chance of retaining possession, or at least being in a position to pressure the other team when they get the ball. Also, when in a 3-5-2 formation you are almost always assured of having a 'safety valve' in wide positions. Because the 3 central midfielders occupy the middle of the pitch, the two outside midfielders tend to stay very wide. This is an important area that defenders tend to look towards when they are facing pressure. The concern about the workload for the outside mids limiting there offensive contribution is a valid one. It can be remedied by two things. First you absolutely need to have exteremely fit players in those positions. Second, defensively you can pinch in on the weak side of the field(the side that the ball is not currently on). Bu doing this, the outside mid on the weak side can take over a central midfiedlers defensive responsibility, allowing one of the center mids to push across the field and provide help and cover for the players defending the ball. By doing this one of the defendeds can pick up the opposing team's outside mid, and still have cover, thus making it not necessary for our outside mid to always track his man all the way down the field. Also, you're completely correct about gooch. He is a big, athletic player. Those are his attributes. He has never been a pillar of composure in the back line.

Reno:
Sorry man, but I just don't see it from Ream. He's a good player, and he tries to play composed but his poor decision making frequently gets him in trouble. In the friendly vs Chile he played a tight ball towards our midfield when he had an easy pass to the outside back. The pass was picked off and the Chilean player ripped one off the right upright. I also saw a 'not top ten play' where Ream(while playing for NY played a blind square ball to his other center back. The guy was marked and the forward picked off the pass, went on a breakaway, and scored easily. Ream should have been given an assist. I would honestly give Omar Gonzalez a chance before Ream.

Speaking of center backs, where has Chad Marshall been. In the few call-ups he's had I think he has done really well. If i remember correctly he suffered a concussion in one of the national team games and hasnt been given another chance. He's 26, and has very good size. I'd like to see more from him.

OH haha just noticed you were from Vegas. I was born and raised there :D

And I'll give you that play from Ream... it was pretty god awful (also, IIFC, the Chile match was his first cap.) And I can't say I've seen a similar biff from Gonzilla but he's made mistakes too; every fullback does.

But from what we have available from the call-ups I'd take Ream over Bornstein (my inner Hebrew is disappoint.) But I will completely agree that Gonzo should have had the call-up. The Galaxy fan in me is stoked that he'll still be there during the long stretch without Landy Cakes or Donovan Ricketts (off to the Reggae Boyz.) But the Yanks fan in me really wishes Bradley made slightly different call-ups.

Back