Worts smell the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossrainey

Reaction score
So I finished brewing my 2nd batch today. This time I brewed a variation of Revvy's Old Bog Road Brown Ale. My first batch was the AHS our special holiday ale and now I have an interesting question. Both batches had crystal and chocolate, this one more than the first, grains for steeping and this brown ale had alot more hops and IBUs(Cascade, Galena, and Fuggles in brown ale, AHS Mt. hood and Saaz). I noticed after finishing this brew, the two have a very oddly similar smell. I thought this one might have a more bitter aroma. Does anyone think this could be because my stove top is not getting a very vigorous boil? I just have a typical apartment stove, but the water does get to a steady boil. I may just be over thinking it and worrying, but atleast this time I'm not worried about gravity and sanitation.

I wouldnt worry at all. You cant smell bitter. Also you are looking more for a good rolling boil than a vigorous boil. I wouldnt worry at all. When you take your gravity samples taste each one and I guarantee you will taste a difference. If I am wrong on any of this someone will correct me but if I were you I would RDWHAHB.

Back