$40 too much for 20lb CO2 exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pay around $20 for a 5# exchange. The price you pay is probably going to depend on your location and the number of suppliers.

Airgas in Austin is about $16. Praxaire in Austin is about $29.

That's pretty steep for Airgas IMHO. What other California environmental charges are attached to you bill?

I pay $12 to fill or exchange my 20 lb tanks. If my tank is within certification they just fill it. If it is not they trade me out for one that is. Either way it is $12. I think that $40 is expensive and I would look around for other places.

Goddammit! Every weld shop I call tells me to go to Airgas!! There's gotta be a better place in the Bay Area! Ok, time to chill...

I pay $10 for a 5# refill, but $40 sounds a bit high, but not completely ridiculous.

Why won't a welding shop trade out cylinders?

Hope you mean Welding Supply shops. If your just calling up local welders your not likely to find much help.

This search in Google "welding supply San Francisco, ca" yields a very different result set than "welding San Francisco, ca".

I pay about $8 for a 5# refill...4 times that would be $32...buying bulk should be cheaper...if the original tank is yours I would not exchange it...if the original is "rented" from the welding shop and they refill then you would/should never have to worry about getting them recertified...;)

Back