The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not my beer, but stopped at a regular watering hole:

customer "do you have guinness on tap"
barkeep "Nope.. we have...."
customer "oh i'll take a bottle of bush light then"

Brek81 said:
not my beer, but stopped at a regular watering hole:

customer "do you have guinness on tap"
barkeep "Nope.. we have...."
customer "oh i'll take a bottle of bush light then"

They're not too different. Guinness is kind of like roasty Busch light ;)

If it's darker than a pale ale and lighter than a Guinness, 9 times out of ten I get, "oh wow! Tastes like shiner!"

I don't even lager.

sr20steve said:
"this smells like weed" about a IPA, lol

?

Certain hops definitely have a "dank" aroma. IPA would be the obvious style where it'd be noticed.

?

Certain hops definitely have a "dank" aroma. IPA would be the obvious style where it'd be noticed.

Dark Horse even makes a beer called "Smells Like Weed". It's an awesome IPA.

Hops and marijuana are quite closely related.

This and this all over. In my beginnings of exploring craft beer, first time I had one of the local brewpubs' IPA I swore up-and-down that it smelled like ganja.

Dark Horse even makes a beer called "Smells Like Weed". It's an awesome IPA.

Hops and marijuana are quite closely related.

One night when I was tending bar at the local microbrewery, the brewer was heating up water in the MT/BK (it's a Pub system, so they're one in the same). Well, it apparently had some leftover hop matter in there above the water line, and it started to burn a bit. It smelled just like someone had sparked a doob in the bar. Quite a few people came up to me and told me they smelled it, but one particular customer said, "I don't want to be a hypocrite or anything, but I think someone is burning in your bar."

When I hand a friend a beer and tell them I made it they take a whiff: "smells like beer"
A few seconds later they take a sip: "wow, tastes like beer too!"

No s**t, that's the point of homebrew.

So you haven't tried the newest version Bud Light Lime-rita? now with a pinch of salt. (google it if you think I'm making that up)

Not the worst thing I've ever had believe it or not. In fact I'd rather have a lime-rita then an actual Bud Light. Of course I'd rather have a real margarita then a lime-rita but thats just getting picky.

I went out to dinner with my wife and father in law who is a big wine drinker. When the waitress took our drink order my FIL ordered a bottle of wine, I am not a huge wine drinker but like to have a few now and then and it was an Italian restaurant and red wine seems to go good with Italian(like I said I am not a big wine drinker so if that is wrong don't kill me). When she asked me what I wanted I said I would be fine with the wine. My FIL proceeded to tell her I was a beer drinker and knew a lot about beer etc. The waitress was excited to tell me they have lots of different kinds of beer, over 20 kinds. When she started to tell me what they have "bud, bud light, miller light, miller high life, coors, coors light, labatts blue, labatts blue light, molson, etc". I just drank wine that night.

Ha! That's amazing... especially since she got excited to tell you about the 20 different labels they have for the same style :D

That reminds me of my uncle. We got into a conversation about beer and how I brew and all that. He started off by saying when are you opening your "beer shop" (he is a mechanic). Then later on in the conversation he said he tried many types of beer "miller light, busch light, corona, pabst, bud light, ect" I just smiled and I didn't have the heart to tell him that's all the same stuff. Lol

When I first got started my dad asked me when I was going to make something other than "flavored beer". At that point the craziest thing I had made was an oatmeal stout and a rye IPA.

Last month I had a couple guys over for a tasting and UFC night. Hefe, pumpkin ale, Stone IPA clone The first guy showed up. Hefe - 'whoah, I actually like this', pumpkin - 'there's too much going on here', ipa - he brought the glass to his lips, took a half sip, and said 'no' and gave it back to me. The other guys came, ended up loving the IPA, with really good compliments and stuck with that the rest of the night.

Im lucky and most of my friends are either craft beer drinkers or married to a craft beer drinker. So while they all enjoy the occasional BMC, they tend to drink the better side of commercial brews when out. But for the most part they have enjoyed most of my beers. Ive notice a trend though that women dont like the smell of hops and most of my IPAs and Ambers tend to be too hoppy for them and I get this:

"Do you have any of your raspberry one left"

though on the opposite the best comment I got from one of the girls was this:

"This is ****ing amazing" which we (me and my brew buddy) immediately replied with "That's what she said" and got the name for our honey blonde

When I first got started my dad asked me when I was going to make something other than "flavored beer". At that point the craziest thing I had made was an oatmeal stout and a rye IPA.

This is the best so far. You should start making the flavorless stuff. :ban:

It really irritates me when I ask my drinking buddies to give me their honest opinion and point out the things they like and don't like about the beer. These guys are fellow craft beer drinker to boot. It's hard to get better at something if you don't know what's "off". I always get "tastes like beer to me", "I didn't get a headache", or "what's this stuff at the bottom of my bottle". I have to get SWMBO (who doesn't like most beer) to give me some kind of feedback. I'll give her a BJCP sheet with the style profile and she'll go off of that.

It really irritates me when I ask my drinking buddies to give me their honest opinion and point out the things they like and don't like about the beer. These guys are fellow craft beer drinker to boot. It's hard to get better at something if you don't know what's "off". I always get "tastes like beer to me", "I didn't get a headache", or "what's this stuff at the bottom of my bottle". I have to get SWMBO (who doesn't like most beer) to give me some kind of feedback. I'll give her a BJCP sheet with the style profile and she'll go off of that.

Why not give your craft beer buddies a BJCP guideline printout as well?

Also, one of the biggest problems in teaching people about beer is that they know what they are tasting but don't know how to properly describe it. Give them all a copy of the flavor wheel! It was really useful for me when I started really picking beers apart.

flavorwheel1-28239.gif

Thank you Reno_eNVy for the flavor wheel. I've been telling my brother about this. Most of my buddies pretend they can't read when they're drinking, yet we're all engineers or in technical jobs. They just want to get away from their families for a few hours and decompress. My wife, on the other hand, likes to learn new things even if the subject isn't really something that initially interests her. She loves my caramel hard apple cider though.

I'm only about halfway through reading this thread but some of the things I have seen are simply beyond belief haha.

Last weekend I handed a pint of munich dunkel I had made to my girlfriends friend and her boyfriend to have a taste. The girlfriend tasted it and said she really liked it then handed it to her macho boyfriend and went to open one for herself :rockin:. When her boyfriend gave it a taste the face he made reminded me of my brother at six years old turning his nose up when my mom forced him to finish his broccoli. I had to hold back laughter. :p

Simcoe Cream Ale? What a waste. Was it hoppy?

LOL this ranks up there!
Just kidding. I brewed the cream ale with all simcoe as I had extra simcoe left over from an American IPA. Simcoe flavor and aroma did come through in a small way, and I will repeat the recipe again! It was hoppy to style. Added some small later additions just because it was simcoe. Not a competition beer... just a summer drinker.

Why not give your craft beer buddies a BJCP guideline printout as well?

Also, one of the biggest problems in teaching people about beer is that they know what they are tasting but don't know how to properly describe it. Give them all a copy of the flavor wheel! It was really useful for me when I started really picking beers apart.

flavorwheel1-28239.gif

that is awesome!

I'm finally through the whole thread!!! Woohoo!

I couldn't help but think about two things:

Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "The funniest comment on your beer." A lot of these are funny, but not necessarily stupid.

I like the flavor wheel. That would help in explaining flavors. It would be awesome for a brewer with A LOT of time to make some mini batches that correspond to the flavor wheel. Each batch would focus on one flavor. Then they would all be bottled in 100 ml bottles. If you want to truly teach someone the terminology, this would be an awesome way. "That's hoppy? No, that's malty. Here, a sample of malty and a sample of hoppy." In fact, it may even be a nice sampler/experiment to improve our own education and palate.

Of course, we all just want to drink good beer and are fine with that. At least, I am. Hell, I barely have the time to brew enough for the SWMBO and I.

I wrote a poem about IPA's in my creative writing class
one line was
"Pilsner glass abode"
to which my to which my professor replies
"Oh I didn't get it until you said Pilsner. I remember now IPA's are a kind of Pilsner."

You actually wrote a poem about IPAs? Wow. WTG! Care to share?

I used to work at a homebrew supply shop/merchandise store and one of the first things people would see when they walked into our store was out immersion wort chillers. The following conversation occurred more times than I would care to count:

Individual #1: You guys see this here? Its a still!
Individual #2: I didnt think it was legal to sell those things. Thats made for moonshinin'
Individual #1: So do any of you guys, you know, 'brew your own'? (wink, wink)
Me: No those are wort chillers, they are used to... (both walk off to look at t-shirts).

WOP31 said:
Upon telling someone that I am a homebrewer:

Me: "Yeah i brew my own beer, not really a big deal"
Them: "so you like the dark stuff, huh?" (said with stupid azz grin)
Me: "And the light and the amber and the brown"
Them: "is that legal?"
Me: "No, I have it set up right next to my meth lab"
Them: "that **** will F you up huh?"
Me: "Yeah it's like drinking shine, Get A Life!"

Lmfao man.

Not a stupid comment on my beer but a funny beer story anyway. So I was at the Empire Brewfest a few weeks ago here in Syracuse, NY. It started at 5:30 and there were numerous beer tents so I started making the round. Finally got to the Bear Republic tent at about 8:30 (yeah there were a lot of tents). I was psyched because they had one of my favorite beers (Racer 5). I think their other one was the Hop Rod Rye. So I asked the guy for a pour of the Racer 5 and he gladly obliged. As soon as he poured it, I knew it was NOT Racer 5 but rather the Hop Rod Rye. I could tell by the color, but a small taste confirmed it. So I said to the guy "Hey, I think you have the taps switched on the lines because this is not the Racer 5." At first I think he thought I was kidding and he's like "are you sure?" and I'm like "yeah, Racer 5 is like one of my favorite beers and this ain't it". He then tells me he is just a volunteer and stuff and I'm like "yeah i totally understand. I just wanted to let you know that you have them switched and you should probably change them because you are serving the wrong beers". Anyway, he is hesitant so I walk away. A few minutes later, he walks up to me and says "You were right, I had the lines reversed". He thanked me and I said no problem. The thing that really gets me though is that...here I am at a craft beer event, which I assume is full of people who know at least SOMETHING about beer and probably like to drink good beers and not one person noticed (if they did, they didn't say anything).

I had a sweet stout that I had been tweaking over the course of a few batches. I finally got it just right and I let my cousin's boyfriend (who is actually very knowledgable about craft beers) try it. His incredible insight: "Yep, tastes like a stout." I wanted to punch him in the throat and take my homebrew back!

I had a sweet stout that I had been tweaking over the course of a few batches. I finally got it just right and I let my cousin's boyfriend (who is actually very knowledgable about craft beers) try it. His incredible insight: "Yep, tastes like a stout." I wanted to punch him in the throat and take my homebrew back!

LOL that is a dumb ass comment. +1

:tank:

I ha a few family members and friends sampling several of my beers and their ratings ranged from "not THAT bad" to "that pretty good."
Maybe next time I will just pour mcb so they can tell me how delicious it is

1) Guys walks up to the bar I work at Which has Stella Artois, Bells Two Hearted, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and the Founders Porter..
"Why don't you guys have any domestic beers?" me: "Sam Adams, Bells, and Founders are made in the U.S.", Him: "No DOMESTIC like bud light.
2) Customers orders her meal but says " I have a very serious Gluten Alergy" and then she asks for a beer and upon warning her that beer has gluten in it she informs me that "she can have that kind of gluten."

Back