Altbier, Koelsch, and Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Just returned from Europe. I went to a trade show in Dusseldorf and was able to tack on a few extra days to visit Cologne, Prague, and Amsterdam. Beer had nothing to do with it, I swear.

Here's a brief report:

If you don't like altbier, it's best to drink wine in Dusseldorf. Most of the pubs have just one beer. The waiters carry around a tray full of glasses. You flag one down and he drops off however many you want then moves on to the next table.

I made it to the Schlussel and Uerige breweries, and sampled others. They were all excellent, I maybe preferred the Uerige. It was a tad more bitter than the others. (if you've never had an altbier, try Negra Modelo)

As with Dusseldorf, most of the pubs in Cologne served just one beer. If you don't like koelsch, don't go the Cologne. Unfortunately, I was only there one night so my sampling was not so varied. Never tried a koelsch before, talk about a baptism of fire. I think I drank more Gaffel than the others. They were all tasty except one which was a bit sour for me. Can't remember which, guess I'll have to go again.

It would seem there is no water in Prague, only pilsner, and most of it Urguell. I was hoping that it would taste better there than it does here. It doesn't, what a bummer. There were very few places that offered anything else so I drank plenty of it anyway.

A couple places had Budvar. There was also a darker, fuller bodied beer in some of the pubs which was quite good. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it. I guess that brain cell didn't survive the trip.

In Amsterdam it is possbile to drink something besides Heineken, thank god. One pub had an outstanding selection of belgians. www.cafegollem.nl/ But hey, who goes there for beer?

As for the cities? Due to work, I didn't see any of Dusseldorf during the day. Cologne, Prague and Amsterdam were all spectacular. It was an awesome trip. The great beer was a bonus.

I was under the impression Negra Modelo was a vienna-style lager.

I have a flip top of Uerige Alt sitting in the fridge that I don't want to open until I can save the yeast :). There's a good layer of it on the bottom in there. I suppose they're should be, since the bottle cost me more than a vial of white labs.

mrkristofo said:
I was under the impression Negra Modelo was a vienna-style lager.

I have a flip top of Uerige Alt sitting in the fridge that I don't want to open until I can save the yeast :). There's a good layer of it on the bottom in there. I suppose they're should be, since the bottle cost me more than a vial of white labs.

NM may very well be a vienna lager, I was only trying to describe the taste best as I could. You will enjoy that Uergie! Wish I had some of that yeast!

Thats awesome! I wish I had brought some of the koelsch glasses back from Cologne...they were cool!

One of the good things about Kolsch is that the glasses are small so you can hammer them down, and the beer stays cool and fresh. Compare that to a Mass of frosty Helles in Munich on a hot summers day.

Could the darker, american lager type beer in Prague have been Staropramen? They have it in the Bohemian Beergarden in Queens, NY - if you're ever in that area.

Urquell I think is OK, Budvar I like a lot. Heineken - I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, it doesn't rub my kettle at all!

Back