aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusizhuo

Reaction score
I am new to mead making and brewing in general. I have read that with mead one needs to aerate a couple times a day for a few days. I just started my own batch, aerated it about 6 hours after pitching the yeast, and now (12 hours later) I can see some activity. It looks like a lot of little bubbles popping on the surface. Now, it is not super active but it is fermenting. Should I still aerate it a couple of times a day for the next two days or will that stall the ferment I have going now?

I never really messed with extra aeration after pitching and my meads turned out.

I wouldn't call it necessary.

I have done the opposite- always aerated/stirred for a couple of days in primary and mine turned out great, too!

I guess it would depend on how the fermentation is going- if it's sluggish, it could benefit from some aeration. I've just always done it with meads and wines.

I airrated once before pitching the yeast... came out just fine.. I think it helps if you have an insanly high SG.. but I don't think it hurts anyway.. just be careful not to do it after the third day or so..

SpamDog

Back