Yeast Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I want to make a starter for my new batch but I also want to propogate it upwards to use some on another batch next week. Do I just make a large starter pitch half of it, the put the rest in the fridge and make a new starter for that yeast when I need it again or what do I do?

So if I want to make a starter and pitch 1/2 into todays brew and the other half into a brew next week how much should I make I am using white labs by the way? I read you make a 1 pint starter so should 2 pints be sufficient?

What you want to do is double that and use half.

You can also just brew your batch with what you have and next week rack it into the secondary and rack your new brew on the yeast already in the primary from the first batch...saves lots of lag time. :D

Or you can save 1/2 of the slurry from next week and wash it for a future batch then rack your new brew on to whatever's left in the primary. :D

Back