looking for some advice on out of state job search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkoerner

Reaction score
just trying to get some advice on looking for jobs out of state. I will be graduating college in a few days with degrees in Finance and Accounting. I am currently living in TX and am really looking for a change of scenery and looking to relocate to CO and thinking mainly about the Denver area.

So if I can get any tips, tricks, or general advice it will be greatly appreciated.

also I'm looking to focus on finance more than accounting

Personally I have always had a local phone number. When I got out of college I got a landline (even though I only used my cell) just so I could be contacted locally. If you have a smart phone now, you can sign up for a service like google voice and get a phone number just about anywhere. Basically give any tie to the region you can, the further away the more important. (If you live in an unmarried house, I would hide that in voice mails "you have reached 555-555-5555" not "you have reached brkoerner and not a spouse" just so you don't get judged.)

Not out of state advise . . . but still good advise. Scrub and secure all online persona/social media/networking tools and link them to a different email than the one you give on job applications. Search/google every bit of information on you resume name/email/phone/address and see what comes up.

sounds like a pretty good idea about the phone number, but have question dealing with that

1. how would it look to have CO phone # and a TX address on my resume

also whats the reasoning about having the social media etc linked to another email account other than just not receiving all the junk emails from them.

thanks for the help so far

sounds like a pretty good idea about the phone number, but have question dealing with that

also whats the reasoning about having the social media etc linked to another email account other than just not receiving all the junk emails from them.

thanks for the help so far

I cannot really tell you about the address, I have always been somewhat close by when job hunting.

The purpose of locking down social media and switching to an email you are not giving out is privacy. I know plenty of employers who do a google/facebook/linkin/whatever else check on applicant. If you use the same email address consider everything you do online with that address part of your application (same goes for unsecured social media that uses your name) Let us say your social media clearly shows that you live with your girlfriend/boyfriend ("living in sin") and the person in charge of hiring is highly religious, that you have status updates that show conservative tendencies, but the interviewer is liberal, that you enjoy hunting but they are a vegetarian, and so on. You'll never know why you didn't get an interview.

i've been in a hiring position several times in my life, and what it would indicate to me is your full intent to move to the area code as soon as the right opportunity arises. it also tells me you can wait on the RIGHT opportunity

I want to note, I do the phone number targeting older generations. My generation and younger have cell phones and frankly with long free long distance and portability. . . I have had the same cell number while living in 4 different area codes and I plan on moving to a 5th in a year or so. I don't think the location of a phone number means much to younger generations, but they aren't a majority in hiring.

I will tell you as a hiring manager I look at a few things. If you don't pass those, I do't even read the rest of the resume. i know these are most likely un-PC, but this is the best way i have found to comb through 500+ resumes per posting.

I look at:
email address... keep it simple, like your name. Nothing stupid. like XXXBoi6969
Physical Address - I like local. If you are out of town, put on there you are looking for a job in XXXX region and will pay for relocation. That would make me keep reading.
College/University - If you go to a real school, I keep reading. U of Pheonix and Devry doesn't pass the test. If not, talk up your experience in the field you are applying for. I will often times substitute learning with real experience that can't be taught in school.
For first time job seekers, I will then go straight to extra-curriculars. If you deliver pizza in college, I get it, i don't need to know about how you were a diligent order taker and exceeded delivery times. That doesn't mean **** in the real world. I look for Fraternity/Sorority or other clubs and organizations. I then look for leadership positions within those. My thought is if your peers elect you to leadership, they must think highly of you and so will I.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Keep in mind 99% of the world hates their first job/boss. If you are going with accounting, I would recommend you go with one of the Big 4 and work your way out of them after you make Senior. If that's not you, look for something quickly in the arena of what you want to do. Gaps in employment are another red flag for me.

Thanks stealyourface.

what im planning to do while i look for a job is either try to get a teller position at some bank or work for my parents CPA during tax season (which i have done before)

and as email goes i haven't had a stupid one since middle school ever since just been variations of my name and initials

i feel the address part is what will most likely hurt me the most but i do have some family in the area so hopefully they will be kind enough to let me stay with them till i find something and can get on my feet

school: i go to a D1 school

yea i plan to most likely not have my first job for too long. you talk about gaps in employment, how do you feel about those while an applicant is in school.

I am not a recruiter but have helped many people find first jobs, as well as having shared an office with a corporate recruiter so here is my pointers.

Work up your resume dependant on the field you are seeking. For example if you have no relevant job experience, highlight the relevant skills (works especially well with computer jobs). Lock down anything that can make you look bad online. I have watched recruiters comb over unsecured myspace and facebook and if more than X% are drinking related pictures and ridiculous posts you will not receive a call/email back. Make sure you type/speak correctly with proper grammar, and do not use slang. Be respectful and honest. You are not expected to know everything already. Dress nicely and shower. And for gods sake show up to your interview.

Also, its easier to find a job while you are currently employed. If you cant find an in your field job quickly, get an in the interim job.

Thanks stealyourface.

what im planning to do while i look for a job is either try to get a teller position at some bank or work for my parents CPA during tax season (which i have done before)

and as email goes i haven't had a stupid one since middle school ever since just been variations of my name and initials

i feel the address part is what will most likely hurt me the most but i do have some family in the area so hopefully they will be kind enough to let me stay with them till i find something and can get on my feet

school: i go to a D1 school

yea i plan to most likely not have my first job for too long. you talk about gaps in employment, how do you feel about those while an applicant is in school.
For the sake of an application, "Student" is usually an employment. If you quit work to go to school full-time for four years, there was no gap in your employment history.

Back