High FG on Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
So I did a batch of Edwort's Apfelwein (OG of 1.066), and I used Wyeast London ESB ale yeast. It was in the fermenter for about 2-3 months at room temperature (my AC turned on at 80, and the apartment got down to low 70's at night), and I stirred it whenever it looked like it was slowing. When I finally went to transfer it, my hydrometer reading gave me an FG of 1.007. Since then, I have put it on tap in my kegerator, and (other than a little bit of yeast in suspension) it tastes great! I wouldn't bother with it except I think my girlfriend will want me to bottle some once it finally clears a bit more, and I am worried about bottle bombs.

Will this be safe to bottle? I'd hate to bottle it and then, when the bottles warm up, have them explode.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Most of the sugars should be gone and even if it were to carb up in the bottle, I don't think you have enough residual sugars in there to blow up bottles. Somebody here made a thread intentionally trying to blow up a bottle and I don't think it happened? Beer bottles are designed to handle a good amount of pressure I think.

I'm guessing you didn't force carb then?
it would have to drop another 5 points in bottle to reach beer carb levels, you're likely ok after cold crash. A safeguard would be to bottle some in a plastic bottle and monitor pressure in that, pasteurizing or refrigerating if need be.

I always assumed force carbing is where you get it carbed by shaking at high psi, but I put it into a keg and put it on CO2 at beer carb levels and let it gradually get up to CO2 levels at its own pace. But it's carbonated in the keg and at an FG of 1.007. My plan was to use a diy beer gun to bottle a few for some people. I don't have to treat it with potassium sorbate or campden, do I?

I would say no, especially if you wait till it clears in keg. But after you bottle it I would seriously consider pasteurizing it at least (check out the cider forum stickies). Can't be too cautious when it comes to safety!

I'm surprised it stopped so soon. I would have expected it to drop to 0.997 or so. Since a typical prime is only 4 points, I think any bottles would blow unless you kept them refrigerated or pasteurized them after filling.

Another thing you could do is take out a cup's worth, degas it fully, let it warm up, and add 1/2 cup table sugar and monitor that for refermentation.

Back