Running two burners from one regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCoyoteSG

Reaction score
I would like to run two 60,000 BTU hurricane burners from one regulator and tank. Is this something that would work ok? Can I use the regulator that came with my first burner, it's a 1 psi reg. Or would i need to get another regulator that has adjustable pressure? kinda ignorant on propane. Thanks in advance good people.

Ya you'll need a higher pressure regulator for sure. Probably 15psi or greater. It's also nice to have the adjustment and room to turn it way up to get things going. I think I remember seeing one on the Homebrew finds site a few weeks ago.

You can but you have to have all the burners either high pressure or low pressure. If they aren't the same, one of them won't work well.

You'll most likely need a new regulator, but not higher psi. Higher total flow.
Check to see what the total BTU capacity of the regulator is.
I use a Marshall 299 that can flow a total of 160000 BTU/hour. If you want to go nuts there are whole house regulators that flow 500000+ BTU/hour.

If you do this, put that tank in a bucket of water. I didn't do this my first time and the tank got so cold it froze to the driveway!

On my old system I would run an sq-14 and a jet burner but the sq was low pressure. I took off the inlet from both regs, plumbed in a T with 1/4" pipe and connected that to the tank.
If I had both of them cranking at the same time it would frost my 100lb tank.
IMG00196.jpg

If you look closely you can see how I had the regulators t'd after the tank.
IMG00040.jpg

Back