Pellet hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincydave

Reaction score
I've always thrown the pellets directly in the boil. Recently switched from extract to BIAB. Have 2 paint strainer bags. If I use a bag with the pellets, will it keep them contained, or will the disolved pellets just go through the bag? Secondly, does it even make a difference in taste if the hops are just left in the fermentor vs removing them.

It will keep a bulk of the hops contained. Some fine particles will inevitably make it through though. It really isn't a big issue either way. Anything that makes it into the fermenter will just settle in the trub.

There's a very high chance (99.9x%) that letting the hops run free won't cause any taste differences, or at least nothing negative. If the bag mesh is fine enough, it will contain the hop matter but still give you the extraction you desire.

Personally, I use a hop spider (with nylon bag) to contain my hops to prevent them from getting all up in my plate chiller. If it wasn't for the chiller, I might not be so concerned about the hops being bagged. Although I do like not having the extra hop matter in fermenter. I think that started when I was using carboys and could see inside the fermenter. Now that I ferment in sanke kegs, I don't look at the brew until it's doing from sanke fermenter into serving kegs.

Thanks......Sounds like it really doesn't matter much either way if you dump in the hops or not.

I would suggest a search, I recall reading some reports of reduced hop extraction/bitterness resulting for baging rather than swimming free??? Of course, YMMV. Myself, I have never used a hop bag, so the above is merely from memory of previous posts.

Like everything else, opinions vary...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/decrease-hop-sack-utilization-130968/

Other threads claim no reduction in hop extraction...so as said above...YMMV j/k

If they are pellets, just chuck 'em in. They are going to disolve either way. They should fall out pretty well with the rest of the break material during chilling.

As long as you have enough space in the hop bag for the pellet hops to expand and the water to flow freely through the expanded hops, the utilization is the same.

Back