"Wine....ish" taste from my partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have recently started mashing fair quantities of base malt along with my specialty malts and then adding a bit of extract in the end. Quantities of 25+3 kg all together with 2 kg being base malt.

The first two beers which are ready have both had this "wine" taste which I have earlier tasted in kits with a lot of simple sugar added. None of the two beers have had any simple sugar in them.

The only possible culprit I can see is that I have been having a hard time keeping my mash temperature up, which means that I have dropped down to 140 and then added boiling water to get i back up again.

I have mini mashed before (just specialty malt a a bit of base malt) and I have not had this taste before.

Both of my mashes have been fairly ineffective at around 55%.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I brew BIAB stovetop by the way and the beers have been fermented at around 19 celcius with Nottingham and US-04 dry yeast.

Cheers,
Thomas

Could be the mash, could be the yeast, I'm thinking. Could be the equipment too, or maybe the water. Did you use tap water? That probably doesn't help much. Maybe tell more details about your procesd

is 19C ambient or wort temp? active fermentation will raise the temp 2-6C and notty can get funky over 21C.

by wine-ish do you mean sherry-like (oxidation) or alcoholic (fusels)?

Wine-like as in bitterness? There could be tannin (which is present in wine in much larger quantities than beer) that could have been extracted when you added the boiling water, the water wouldn't have reached thermal equilibrium immediately, so some parts would experience high temperatures at which tannin could leak out.

Back