Bourbon Barleywine Feedback Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkpsych

Reaction score
Last weekend I was able to squeeze in a batch, but due to time constraints and a couple far too complicated batches in the recent past (stalled fermentation, bottle bombs), I decided to keep things as simple and stupid as possible. I am wondering if you all could let me know just how stupid I got, and would be very interested in predictions, especially w/ respect to FG. I plan on several more iterations of this recipe, and suggestions for tweaks are also welcome.

This beer was inspired in part by Dead Guy's John John barrel aged whiskey ale (http://www.rogue.com/beers/john-john-dead-guy.php), but is by no means an attempt at a clone.

Grain:
6.6# Briess Gold LME
4# American Two Row
8oz C60
5oz Flaked Barley

Hops:
1.5 oz Chinook for 60 minutes
1 oz Centennial for 15 Minutes

Yeast:
2 smack packs of Wyeast 1056 (didn't want to sprinkle US-05, wasn't going to rehydrate)

Oak chips are currently soaking in Maker's Mark, and I will be adding 1/2 cup or so to 3.5 gallons during bottling (using dextrose) to simulate barrel aging.

Process: Mash was at ~153 (+/- 2) for one hour. I moved and don't have sparging equipment at present, so I compensated with extra 2 row in the recipe. The boil was one hour. Wort was cooled and racked straight to the fermenter, with no water added. My batch size was pretty much dictated by my kettle, yielding about 3.5 gallons (started w/ 4). Actual OG was 1.100. The temperature in my fermenter sits just under 70 degrees.

I'm hoping that I will get down to at least 1.027 (73%), and finish at 9.5%-10% abv. Beer calculus predicts 11 SRM, 85 IBU, 9.9% ABV w/ 75% efficiency and 75% attenuation.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Update:

5 days in, gravity is 1.022, and it tastes more like an imperial pale ale (less hoppy than an IIPA). Think of Pork Slap if it were the color of clarified apple cider and was boozier. The 1056 gave me 78% attenuation, and 10.24% abv.

The question now is whether I should be content with what I have, or if I should add oak infused bourbon. Right now non-oaked bourbon blends right in with the hops and rounds out the flavor.

Back