Second best way to "rouse" a slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
No time for an actual starter. I'm brewing tomorrow come hell or high water. I have 4ozs of a super clean Thames Valley slurry that's 3 weeks old. I have no dme, but I have 16ozs of frozen wort, it's only around 1.020. It's just 6 row and flaked maize.

Use that, or make a real wort starter from the batch tomorrow, I could let it sit 5-6 hours until it gets rolling then direct pitch.

_

It would depend on your upcoming beer, but... consider this.

4 oz of slurry = 118ml

According to Mr Malty, you'd only need 130ml of slurry to inoculate a 5gal, 1050 wort. I'd say you have ~ 1.75 vials in hand now. If you wanted to rouse your yeast, just use your 16 oz starter, thaw it out, boil it for 10-15 minutes to kill any baddies, chill it and pitch your yeast slurry into it before starting your brew day tomorrow morning.

It would depend on your upcoming beer, but... consider this.

4 oz of slurry = 118ml

According to Mr Malty, you'd only need 130ml of slurry to inoculate a 5gal, 1050 wort. I'd say you have ~ 1.75 vials in hand now. If you wanted to rouse your yeast, just use your 16 oz starter, thaw it out, boil it for 10-15 minutes to kill any baddies, chill it and pitch your yeast slurry into it before starting your brew day tomorrow morning.

That's what I'd do! If your slurry is only 3 weeks old, it's fresher than any vial or smack pack I ever bought. I'd go ahead and boil down some of the starter wort, just to "wake up" the yeast abit today, and pitch tomorrow.

That's what I'd do! If your slurry is only 3 weeks old, it's fresher than any vial or smack pack I ever bought. I'd go ahead and boil down some of the starter wort, just to "wake up" the yeast abit today, and pitch tomorrow.

Tis a good day when the almighty Yooper quotes one of my responses... :mug:

Sounds good. It just goes against my nature to put 6row and flaked maize wort in a delicious pale ale.

_

LOL... it's all about the percentages. I'd say that you don't really HAVE to even do that much but you'd underpitch a bit.

Back