Thermapen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I see lots of people using thermapens, and say they are invaluable!
Well im done with glass lab thermometers as i always forget they are in my fermenting buckets when cleaning, and i smash them when i pour out the hot water...

Ive found a few different thermapens, but they all range from £25 - £90 for what looks like the same thing. The only differences i can see is a 'Thermapen 5' and a 'Superfast Thermapen'

What do you guys use, and what one do I want to put on my xmas list?

Or, are they overated, and I could do better with something else? One of the things im worried about is the shortness of the probe.

Looks like mine, but the price seems too good to be true. I know they are made in the U.K. so maybe this site has a cheap source.

your ajstuart isn't one, but the second sure looks like one. ~$40 usd is cheap as h*ll....

i don't know what "ETI Superfast Thermapen" means, the real 'pen is made by thermoworks. donno if they're the same or not...

Cheers guys. I was finding these...

http://www.ajstuart.co.uk/shop/_special_offer__original_fast_response_thermapen_5_4931.asp

And thinking, these cant be what everyone raves about...

Cheers guys I'll make sure I get the thermoworks one!

Edit: Which, just to check, is this one... http://www.buycatering.com/superfast-thermapen-d129581.html

is it not?

That is their older model before they came out with the splashless model. It is now obsolete. I have both and they both work flawlessly.

The real Thermapen is from Thermoworks, which is in the US, although the Thermapen itself is made in the UK. I paid $96 for it, and couldn't be happier. Use it for brewing, baking, cooking, and a few other things.

There are lots of cheap thermometers out there, but it works like it does with everything else- you get what you pay for.

Thermapen's are the best! I paid about $96 for my water resistant one a year or so ago, and it is great.

Also versatile, I use it for all sorts of stuff.

Hi folks,
I noticed you linked to the Original Fast Respone Thermapen 5 on our website. I can confirm that the only difference in the original model and the newer model is the shape of the Thermapen - all functions are the same.
Our supplier has informed us that they are continuing to produce the original style model due to a demand from customers and are currently offering it to us at a reduced price, hence the reason we are currently offering the Thermapen on special offer.
If anyone needs any further information on either model of the Thermapen, let me know and I'll try to help you out as we hold both models in stock.
Thanks,
AJ Stuart

Not yourself....but they're a certified instrument, unlike most thermometers, and I believe they can be recalibrated by Thermoworks.

The Thermapen does come with a certificate of conformity and it is possible to have them calibrated although the cost of calibration would perhaps outweigh the cost of the actual Thermapen.
With regards shipping to the US, I will make enquiries and try to come back with delivery costs, etc.

Hi folks,
I noticed you linked to the Original Fast Respone Thermapen 5 on our website. I can confirm that the only difference in the original model and the newer model is the shape of the Thermapen - all functions are the same.
Our supplier has informed us that they are continuing to produce the original style model due to a demand from customers and are currently offering it to us at a reduced price, hence the reason we are currently offering the Thermapen on special offer.
If anyone needs any further information on either model of the Thermapen, let me know and I'll try to help you out as we hold both models in stock.
Thanks,
AJ Stuart

Hi everyone, Tim here from ThermoWorks. No offense to Mr. Stuart, but I just wanted to clarify that there are definitely more differences between the old Thermapen and the new Splash-Proof Thermapen than just "the shape." As indicated by the name, the new Splash-Proof Thermapen is protected from splashes and moisture (important to most brewers) and the old one is not. The newer model is also significantly more accurate and a tad faster. Mr. Stuart does not represent an authorized North American distributor of the Thermapen and any items purchased from him will, unfortunately, not be serviced or warrantied by ThermoWorks (they will also not include the awesome new complimentary "Using Your Thermapen" Guidebook that everyone has been buzzing about or the "choose your own free gift" and $5 shipping currently on offer). Thanks!
Tim

On further review, Mr. Stuart apparently represents a reseller in Ireland and is not being completely forthright. The older Thermapens have been discontinued, are all but gone, and I believe these Irish Thermapens only read in Celsius--will not read in Fahrenheit.
Thanks again,
Tim

We do not represent any North American distrubutor as we are based in the UK and the Thermapens we offer are from a UK supplier. Hopefully this clears things up but if anyone has any further questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with us here or through our website.
Thanks,
AJ Stuart

wow, we've managed to drag reps from thermoworks in!

since you're already in, Tim, how about a special price on thermapen/pH meter combo for brewers?

:)

I've been wanting a thermapen, would buy one right now, but it's on the christmas list. If there isn't one under the tree, order will be placed on Dec 25th.

I got mine with the free cooking thermometer, which has a countdown timer and alarm. First off, I wasn't expecting the thermapen to be so big, it's a bulky beast, which isn't a bad thing.

And second, it's crazy fast, i'm used to waiting 10+ seconds for a reading, not anymore.

Thirdly I learned my current thermometer reads just over a degree high, which is good to know. The free thermo also stayed within 1 degree (only reads whole numbers) of the thermapen in all heat range test's I did. Impressive.

$100 is a lot to spend on a thermometer, but to nail mash temps, and to have peace of mind you're numbers are right, is totally worth it to me.

I almost forgot the most important thing, they included a small sample pack of gourmet jelly beans, awesome!

Ditto to Wild West here. I ordered a Thermapen for Xmas and am super impressed with it so far. I am putting it through its paces tomorrow morning with its first brew, but compared to the money I've wasted on other "Instant Read" thermometers I could I have just bought this thing from the start!

Tim, great to see you here! I love my Thermapen (the non-splashproof superfast variety).

Sometime last year, my Thermapen developed an intermittent problem where it would read wildly off temperature. I couldn't find the warranty paperwork, so I opened it up with a screwdriver. Turns out that one of the probe wires had come loose from the main circuit board, likely from repeated opening and closing. I carefully reattached the wire, and it's worked fine since. Have you found this to be a common problem?

Tim, great to see you here! I love my Thermapen (the non-splashproof superfast variety).

Sometime last year, my Thermapen developed an intermittent problem where it would read wildly off temperature. I couldn't find the warranty paperwork, so I opened it up with a screwdriver. Turns out that one of the probe wires had come loose from the main circuit board, likely from repeated opening and closing. I carefully reattached the wire, and it's worked fine since. Have you found this to be a common problem?

Hi, Yuri. Glad you're loving the Thermapen. No, that is not something we find. That would fit into the "rare" category. Glad you were able to get it going again. Please let us know if you have any future trouble. Happy Holidays.
Tim

For anyone looking at this thread and thinking about purchasing a thermapen - do it.

You will not regret it. I caught a lot of grief from my wife for asking for $100-ish thermometer. Now, she uses it more than I do, checking meat temperatures in the kitchen and on the grill.

jason

For anyone looking at this thread and thinking about purchasing a thermapen - do it.

You will not regret it. I caught a lot of grief from my wife for asking for $100-ish thermometer. Now, she uses it more than I do, checking meat temperatures in the kitchen and on the grill.

jason

Absolutely- a thermometer is an instrument, and with those, one is seldom well served by going cheap. The biggest thing about the Thermapen is its ability to deliver an accurate temperature quickly.

A good comparison is optics- people are amazed by the clarity of the pictures my daughter-in-law's camera takes, then they find out that the secret isn't the camera, it's a $2000 lens.

Tim, I would like to know what is the difference between the device everybody here is mentioning (thermapen) and this one:

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

I really like this one because of the probe length, but I suppose it's not as accurate as thermapen....

thanks

p.s.

question is not only to Tim, but to anyone who knows the answer :)

Tim, I would like to know what is the difference between the device everybody here is mentioning (thermapen) and this one:

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

I really like this one because of the probe length, but I suppose it's not as accurate as thermapen....

thanks

p.s.

question is not only to Tim, but to anyone who knows the answer :)

Low-cost:
Response Approximately 15 to 20 seconds in liquid
Accuracy ±1.8°F / 1.0°C over full range

Thermapen:
Speed From 75°F to 32°F: ≤ 3 seconds to within 1°F
Accuracy ±0.72°F (±0.4°C) from -58 to 392°F (-49.9 to 199.9°C), ±1.8°F (±1.0°C) from 392 to 572°F (200 to 299.9°C)

±1.8°F is not something I'd want to use to take a mash reading.

Low-cost:
Response Approximately 15 to 20 seconds in liquid
Accuracy ±1.8°F / 1.0°C over full range

Thermapen:
Speed From 75°F to 32°F: ≤ 3 seconds to within 1°F
Accuracy ±0.72°F (±0.4°C) from -58 to 392°F (-49.9 to 199.9°C), ±1.8°F (±1.0°C) from 392 to 572°F (200 to 299.9°C)

±1.8°F is not something I'd want to use to take a mash reading.

I know, but the long probe is very important, at least for me, because I just put it into the mash through a little hole on the lid of my converted mash tun, and I can check the temperature without opening the lid....

anyway, i definitely consider buying this...

well, that's fine, but just know that when it says 154, it could really be 156.

opening the lid three times to take a reading with thermapen could make 156 drop to 154 :)

ok, I'm only half serious....

If only there was a thermapen with longer probe....

or keeping the lid open while the lower cost one takes 20 seconds to take a reading, lol.

i'm really not trying to bash the lower cost one, it seems like a decent unit, but for me it's a bit innacurate and slow.

i understand your desire for a long probe, I used to mash in a rubbermaid, but if you stir well, the temperature will be evenly distributed.. I mean, it's not a block of iron, it's water, heat moves quickly in water.

well, that's fine, but just know that when it says 154, it could really be 156.

...and could you tell that your favorite beer was mashed at 154 vs. 156?

I don't think I could.

I'm all for getting the best instrument/tool for getting the job done (and this is why I've asked Santa for a Thermapen), but I would argue that at the end of the day you will get identical results with the lower cost thermometer.

i understand your desire for a long probe, I used to mash in a rubbermaid, but if you stir well, the temperature will be evenly distributed.. I mean, it's not a block of iron, it's water, heat moves quickly in water.

IMO, the short probe on the Thermapen is a major shortfall and a deal killer for me and especially so at their current price. It's unlikely that the grain bed temperature will be uniform regardless of how much it's stirred. OTOH, if you only have a thermometer with a short probe, you may never detect the difference. FYI, the thermal conductivity of iron is much greater than that of water. Much greater.

I have a Quick Read CDN like this one that has a response time of 6-8 seconds which is not bad at all:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The CDN checks out just fine against a traceable glass lab thermometer that I use as my calibration benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you're right, iron conducts heat much better than water. my point was that water can be more thermally homogeneous, especially if you're constantly stirring.

I don't see how it's unlikely that the grain bed temp will not be uniform. i now mash in a square cooler and haven't any "hot spots"

I have a Quick Read CDN like this one that has a response time of 6-8 seconds which is not bad at all:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The CDN checks out just fine against a traceable glass lab thermometer that I use as my calibration benchmark.

Those used to be my go to thermometers, not anymore. You'd better check them every time you brew, which is ridiculous to have to do imo. My last one went off 2+ degrees just like that. Unacceptable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back