Natural Cider, Q about yeast and racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJI

Reaction score
Hi all,

This forum has been a diamond, since i had a glut of apples on the tree and thought "I'll make some cider". It was just for kicks and giggles, so hadn't taken it too seriously. This meant unfortunately no OG reading I'm afraid.

I decided to go "au natural" and use the wild yeast and its been fermenting for 3 weeks now. A slow start, with a slow bubble rate, but then after a week, really got going (I guess another yeast took over??).. But now it's died back down, and yesterday the SG was 1.00, so I'm thinking now I'll take it off the lees/pulp etc (about 1/3 inch thick) and into a clean DJ to aid any further clearing and yeast drop out.

I have a few extra Q's though that my search aint yeilding answers for, so I'd really appreciate your help.

1 ) It's about where i think the SG should be.. With wild yeasts, is there any danger now that another could kick in and take it lower?

2 ) If yes to above, when I rack into secondary, should I campden it?

3) There wasn't sufficient juice to fill up a whole DJ initially, so should I be concerned about airspace in secondary?

Want to thank you for any help in advance :)

Mike

My experience with natural yeast is that when you get a fast runaway ferment like that, it can finish out pretty weird and the taste doesnt get better over time. The only way I've found to get a reliably decent natural ferment is to go real cold and slow and stop it around 1.010. Otherwise, its pretty much a roll of the dice, so hopefully you got lucky.

I would definately try it first before doing anything - to make sure its drinkable. If drinkable then:
1) No, your good at 1.000
2) Dont add campden unless you want it to last more than 9 months are not planning to drink it for a few more months. If you are going to drink the cider in the next few months, it will taste better without k-meta
3) Keeping air off the cider will make it last longer. So the question is how fast are you and your friends planning on drinking this? If you want it to last till next cider season then you need to be careful about no air getting in, or you can add campden which is an antioxident. But if you want to drink it in the next few months, dont worry.

Thansk very much for your reply, it is much appreciated.

With that in toe, I'll rack it off into a clean DJ, and leave for another few weeks to settle anymore suspended matter out. I am planning to drink it after a couple of months mellowing, but it wont last long once I start, soo what I'll probably do it after a few weeks in secondary vessel, I'll rack into bottles so it removes the problematic airspace.

It seems to be doing the last gradually little blips of fermentation, so will I be ok to leave on the lees for a few more days?? I go away tomorrow for 2 nights, so wont get to do it until Sunday. If you're so good to reply again this evenng, and I catch it before bed, and you think it's best to move off the lees now, I'll do it tonight...

Thanks again for your help.

(I used to help dad home brew, and forgotten how addictive it was. Turbo cider is on now too, as mead it next this Sunday!! :D )

Back