Eating raw hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scimmia

Reaction score
A coworker of mine tried growing some hops this year. Yield wasn't very good, was way too wet where he planted them. Anyway, he just told me that his daughter (late teens, and has tried many good beers) was curious and bit a hop cone the other day. :drunk: He brought this up since I'd given him a DFH 90 minute IPA to try, and he said his daughter was saying it was hoppy, but compared to the raw hops, not so much.:D

Anyone else ever done this?

Tated a hop? Of course. Not a whole one but a couple pieces. Who hasn't?

:D

HMMMM I wonder what chocolate covered hopcones would taste like? Or bacon flavored. Or Chocolate/bacon covered....(I'm getting a gastro-boner thinking about it.);)

Gastro-boner? what the

Ever pop a pellet? Classic!

It's a ritual. Kinda like kissing the first fish caught. the hardest part is poping one yourself and keeping a straighyt face when you convince your un-awares that they are tasty.

The hop pellet is a great tool to use before going to someones home you know is a horrible cook. That way you don't have to taste anything. It is like the suicide pill for your palate.

the hops cones eaten like this are very good for the digestive system, helping with you bowel movements. They taste like bitter and its hard to get down, but if you can handle it , they definitely help with stomach aches. You can also make a tea for the same results, and make a hop pillow to induce sleep, giving you those sweet dreams of rivers flowing with beer and redwoods raining down hop cones. What a great gift these plants are!

Primary: 2009 golden Imperial Wheat
secondary: Dry hoping golden imperial wheat

Steamed hops are very good, but you need to use low AA hops.

Worst case: I ate a pellet of an experimental 19.8% AA hop. At a beer fest. May as well have tossed out the rest of my tickets for all I could taste afterward.

the hops cones eaten like this are very good for the digestive system, helping with you bowel movements. They taste like bitter and its hard to get down, but if you can handle it , they definitely help with stomach aches. You can also make a tea for the same results, and make a hop pillow to induce sleep, giving you those sweet dreams of rivers flowing with beer and redwoods raining down hop cones. What a great gift these plants are!

classic... reminds me of my chewing days (Kodiak :rockin: )
That stuff could cure anything!

correct me if I'm wrong... but with all this talk of consuming hops and the benefits there of, I'd like to remind you all of that special ingredient in hops.. estrogen???? It's not that eating hops will cure what ailments you have, it's just that with the "equipment" interoperability and growth of manbreasts... you forget about everything else :D

I will sometimes burn a hop cone just to whiff the essence. Forget the nonsense about the hop's distant cousin. You won't get high, but hop smoke is fooking amazing. You gotta try it! :D

Eating a whole hop is not too bad. I made the mistake of licking my fingers after packaging dried Magnum and Nugget. My fingers were yellow and sticky with lupulin... It took half an hour to get the taste out of my mouth. All that hops flavor and no overly malty home brew in sight to cut it. Live and learn.

Please elaborate more. Over here, "tempura" usually means a light breading and fried. Those don't look like that.

well the picture/post has disappeared, must not have liked me linking it...
but anyway, they are. keyword being 'light'.

seems this idea has been catching on. here's another picture of some.
http://blog-imgs-30-origin.fc2.com/s/a/l/salmesi/090815hop1.jpg

they're even on the menu at a bar called craftheads in tokyo
http://craftheads.jp/craftheads/Food.html#3

i just realized the thread is about eating raw hops not cooked hops...hmm close enough?

correct me if I'm wrong... but with all this talk of consuming hops and the benefits there of, I'd like to remind you all of that special ingredient in hops.. estrogen???? It's not that eating hops will cure what ailments you have, it's just that with the "equipment" interoperability and growth of manbreasts... you forget about everything else :D

I didn't know that. Does that mean if I get my wife to eat them maybe her boobs will get bigger?:p The golfer Phil Mickelson must eat them on a daily basis. I saw him at last years US Open out here on Long Island and that guy has one big set of Man Titties.

Not quiet. Reports from the late 1800's, when the picking was done by hand, tell of female pickers starting their menstrual cycle 3 days after the picking season starts and men lactating after a week or so. That is the primary reason most of the pickers in the olden days were "maidens".

I'd like to remind you all of that special ingredient in hops.. estrogen???? It's not that eating hops will cure what ailments you have, it's just that with the "equipment" interoperability and growth of manbreasts... you forget about everything else :D

This was the reason for the Reinheitsgebot. It was a political movement designed to steer brewers away from more energetic herbs being used in beer at the time. Had nothing to do with chemicals as this was not a problem back then. CONTROL. It's nothing new to human heart. Too bad hops are sooo tasty and addictive.
Best, Tim

Ever pop a pellet? Classic!

It's a ritual. Kinda like kissing the first fish caught. the hardest part is poping one yourself and keeping a straighyt face when you convince your un-awares that they are tasty.

I popped a pellet on my first homebrew. I didnt even know it was a ritual!!
No one was around to see my face :drunk:

Do you make the same face as the bitter beer face guy?? I gotta try this with a camea on myself. :)

Tucking a cone in your cheek is a good way to tell if those unknown or wild hops are bittering or aroma. If you can hold it there for hours, it's an aroma, if it burns a hole in your cheek in 15 minutes, it's most likely a bittering hop. I chewed on numerous cascades this summer..chew it a bit, tuck it in and it's like an IPA all afternoon.

Back