Did I pitch enough yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I recently brewed the thunderstruck pumpkin ale and used yeast that I washed the day before. I did not create a starter as it was freshly washed. Should I have created a starter? Should I pitch a packet of yeast?

It has been about 24 hours and yes, I know I should wait 72 before I see signs but it has never taken this long before.

Thanks!

Yes, you should wait before you do anything. Come back in two more days and tell us what's going on.

What's the SG of the beer, what yeast and how much did you pitch?

Depends on how much slurry you had.. Its a good idea to make a starter from washed yeast, so you know for sure.

Depends on how much slurry you had.. Its a good idea to make a starter from washed yeast, so you know for sure.

yeah, part of the reason for the starter is to test the viability of the yeast. A good fermenting starter proves that your yeast is happy and reproducing.

I would have just scooped like 3/4 Cup of slurry out for that brew since you only did it a day later. If you think you may have underpitched,well then it may not be such a bad thing with a pumpkin ale. Ive had noticably more longer lag times using washed yeast,its not ideal but not a big deal uless after you bottle condition and then find differences in the outcome. What kind of beer did you wash your yeast from?
I could get away with not making starters with wash yeast usually,because I do small batches,but I still think I should have made a starter though for each. I did make a starter for one batch and I didnt really notice much difference between that and the ones with no starter.
At only a day that yeast should be pretty viable though,so at least you got that.

The SG of the pumpkin ale is 1.048 and 4.25 gallons. I pitched the yeast from a brown ale. I will wait another two days before I pitch a fresh packet. However, I thought washed yeast is more active than fresh.

Back