Cheap pump for a Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted here before, but has anyone considered (or already shot-down) the idea of using an in-line, drill powered pump for moving wort? I just ran across one at Big Lots (always love the cheap stores for unusual tools). I can't find it online, but it is basically a copy of this.

Sanitize it of course, but I think mine was $4. I bought figuring there's always a need to move some amount of water, and I couldn't beat the price even if it wouldn't work for beer.

Thoughts anyone?

kvh

Is it suitable for moving potable liquids? (ie - no materials that will leech any chemicals into it, no way for bearings to leak oil into it, etc) And is it suitable for boiling-hot wort?

The reason pumps like the march pump are so expensive is that they use plastic that meets these requirements, and the moving parts are magnetically coupled so there are no bearings to leak.

Back