Quick n' Dirty draft tap return spring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacBruver

Reaction score
After bumping the tap handles on my kegerator one too many times, I started to search for a way to easily put some return springs on the tap handles. I know that they sell taps that have these, but I have some lovely Perlick 525's that I'm not about to give up. After futzing around with rubber bands, springs, what have you, this is what I came up with:

IMG_5142.JPG

7/16" x 1 1/2" spring, and a #8 x 1/2" self-tapping screw.

IMG_5141.JPG

The end of the spring close to the fridge just has the end closed enough to capture the head of the self-tapping screw, and the other end of the spring is looped around the ferrule of the tap handle. All of this because my tap handle to go with my orange blossom wheat sticks up a bit much:

IMG_5143.JPG

perfect for the 525 users with bigger tap handles!

i have a paper clip, 3 new pennies and a bendy straw I need a pump ready go!!!:cross:

What about an avocado, an ice pick, and a snorkel? :D

I love the 525's but they are TOO smooth. It takes hardly any force to open them. My crappy rear-sealing cheapo taps took a bit more oomph... of course thats assuming they weren't stuck shut.

What about an avocado, an ice pick, and a snorkel? :D

I love the 525's but they are TOO smooth. It takes hardly any force to open them. My crappy rear-sealing cheapo taps took a bit more oomph... of course thats assuming they weren't stuck shut.

i have one too, love it as well it only works for my wood bat handle though. the other 2 heavy handles kept their 425s

Back