Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When would it be safe to bottle? Is it worth keeping? I've never made a sour on purpose, but I do enjoy some sour beers.
i'd give it at least 6 months. at 5 months, take a gravity reading; then another at 6. if it's stable, then carb low when bottling. if you want high carbonation, unless you have thick bottles i'd give it 9-12 months.

worth keeping? who knows. only time will tell. if you can spare that fermenter, i'd strongly encourage you to go for it. you have a spontaneous beer with your "house flavor" - unique!

Thank you. That is both good and bad news. Good in that all is not lost, bad in that this was brewed for a smash contest next month!

This is a rhubarb berliner weisse that I brewed in June of 2011, and bottled today. 1/2 packet of US-05 and Lactobacillus from Wyeast.

rhubarbberliner.jpg

whatsleftofyou, yours looks like it is growing 'shrooms on top.

hunterlab, sometimes, so they say, less is more. You showed just enough "wood" to make it beautiful and exciting. Looking good.

This is a rhubarb berliner weisse that I brewed in June of 2011, and bottled today. 1/2 packet of US-05 and Lactobacillus from Wyeast.

rhubarbberliner.jpg

It's been in a bucket the whole time? Sounds like you'll have carbonated vinegar.

Lots of O2 = lots of acetic acid assuming you have a large enough population of acetic acid producing microbes living in your beer to metabolize the O2 in the first place.

TNGabe said:
Then you must not have looked into it much. O2 permeability on a bucket is very high. Lots of O2 = lots of acetic acid.

I didn't look into it, thanks for the image.

Awesome. I've been secretly suspecting that oxidation via permeability was another goofy 90's homebrew myth. Evidence continues to mount.

your "secret suspicion" is about better bottles, isn't it? not the same as plastic buckets - they are made of different types of plastic. also, i trust a stopper to seal a BB much more than a plastic lid to keep a bucket air-tight.

your "secret suspicion" is about better bottles, isn't it? not the same as plastic buckets - they are made of different types of plastic. also, i trust a stopper to seal a BB much more than a plastic lid to keep a bucket air-tight.

That post is about better bottles, yeah. I'd still be interested in any first-hand accounts about buckets causing oxidation, though. :off:

edit: A gasket-less bucket is a different story, though.

Can anyone help identify this?

Also, a question: This was unintended. I did not notice a pellicle in the primary, only in the secondary as shown. It has been there about a week. Final gravity when I racked it was 1.010 on an ordinary bitter, so this isn't a high alcohol brew. When would it be safe to bottle? Is it worth keeping? I've never made a sour on purpose, but I do enjoy some sour beers.

Yay, lacto!

Honestly, I cannot say I was interested in any yeast forward beers until I really got to brewing and learning how to actually taste beer. A time not long ago I disliked anything from hefe to flanders but I now find some of the offerings from Petrus and Jolly Pumpkin to be quite delicious. Not to mention most of the organisms in brewing (including S. cerevisiae) are probiotic.

The beer that brought me here was an experimental, low- gravity all rye 2nd runnings from a porter I made. Experimental in the sense that it is also gruit- some mints, yarrow, and wormwood. So I think between my low alcohol content and lack of hops contributed to my contamination. It tastes pretty good and it has an invigorating quality- hops is a powerful sedative.

Thanks for sharing the title- looks like a worthy investment and it's cheaper than my average grain bill. :mug:

Been waiting patiently to submit to this thread. Brown Ale aged in a 5 gallon oak barrel w/ Roeselare. Racked onto raspberries and aged for 6 months. One week shy of being a year old.

ForumRunner_20130922_171309.jpg

ForumRunner_20130922_171255.jpg

4DZqvZL.jpg

The pellicle on my berliner weisse that I have souring outside. The pellicle is from whatever critters may have been on all the uncrushed 2-row malt you see there. There is actually tons of CO2 being produced from it as well.

I would apologize for the blurry picture, but I can't apologize for the condensation inside my carboy.

Back