Chilling with frozen soda bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
Has anyone tried filling a 2-liter bottle with water, freezing, sanitizing, and then using it to stir the wort as a form of chilling? It seems like 3-4 soda bottles should cool things to 65F in a hurry (might get away with 2 if you're also in an ice bath), and would be rather cheap.

Yep, it should work pretty well, especially if you combine this with an ice bath.

Edited: I'm pretty sure Palmer talks about this in his book, or at least something close.

Has anyone tried filling a 2-liter bottle with water, freezing, sanitizing, and then using it to stir the wort as a form of chilling? It seems like 3-4 soda bottles should cool things to 65F in a hurry (might get away with 2 if you're also in an ice bath), and would be rather cheap.

Wow that sounds like a great idea. I never would have thought of that.

We have a small countertop ice cream maker that has a frozen container inside. I float that in my wort every time I brew and it helps a lot. Between that and an ice-water bath I can cool the wort pretty quickly. I want to get a wort chiller but not to cool quicker, just so I don't have to mess with ice and the cleanup.

Great Idea.

I'd sanitize it, then put it in a plastic bag and freeze. that way you don't have to worry about freezing starsan to the bottle if you try to sanitize after you freeze it.

B

Yep, I did this for the first time last weekend for an American Brown Ale I was brewing. I just dropped the frozen bottles in my bucket of sanitizer for about a minute, pulled it out & jiggled a bit to get most of the sanitizer off, then popped it right into the brewpot. It worked very nicely to cool things down. I used 3 and it got things down to around 100 in reasonable time. After that, I just kept cooling with an ice bath.

Back