Stir Starter Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansonian

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the correct spot for this but I'm new to yeast starters so I figured WTH. I ordered a Stir Start stir plate and it finally arrived today. I took it out of the package, removed the little foam insert and plug it in and nothing. It doesn't spin up at all. I've tried different power outlets and it just doesn't want to spin. It seems like a pretty simple device am I overlooking something to make this work?

I've called and let them a message but I'm sure they're gone for the day. It just sucks since I really wanted to use it this weekend and it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I'm assuming you got a stir bar with the stir plate. Mine are pretty quite without the stir bar on them. It might help if you link or say what stir plate you bought. Pictures are always a way to get people to respond. That really sucks. I hope you get this sorted.:(

Take the top off the plastic box and try it. You'll be able to see if the fan is spinning then. If it doesn't work, post a pic and somebody may be able to help you debug it.

I took it apart and noticed the fan had gotten broken. I swapped it out for an extra I had in my box of old computer parts and it's up and running. I appreciate everyone's input and I'm glad I got it up and going without too long of a delay.

I took it apart and noticed the fan had gotten broken. I swapped it out for an extra I had in my box of old computer parts and it's up and running. I appreciate everyone's input and I'm glad I got it up and going without too long of a delay.

I assume you still have magnets on the part that spins. If not it will not turn a stir bar in your flask.

You can still make a stater if you want. Just shake it as often as you can. You won't get as much yeast using this method but you'll still be able to brew if that's what you want to do.

I assume you still have magnets on the part that spins. If not it will not turn a stir bar in your flask.

When I put the new fan in I glued a piece of PVC to the top of it and put the magnets off the broken fan on it.

Right now everything's looking fine. I'll try and get a pic of my very first yeast starter.

When I put the new fan in I glued a piece of PVC to the top of it and put the magnets off the broken fan on it.

Right now everything's looking fine. I'll try and get a pic of my very first yeast starter.

Stir Starter advertises a lifetime warranty. I would still contact them and tell them what you had to do. Maybe they'll hook you up somehow.

BansheeRider said:
Stir Starter advertises a lifetime warranty. I would still contact them and tell them what you had to do. Maybe they'll hook you up somehow.

And Dan is a man of his word. Let him know what's up and I'm sure he'll help you out!

I left a message on the Stir Starter answering machine Friday night. If I wasn't so ramped up to use it I probably wouldn't have fixed it on my own. As of now it's working and I'm happy but if they want to do something for me I won't complain. With the exception of the broken fan (which I'm sure was caused by shipping) I'm overall happy with the product.

Back