JAOM - still very cloudy after 2 months.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Hi there.

beer brewer here who tried his hand at making a simple mead a while back! I figured Joe's ancient orange mead was a good place start. I made this just over two months ago and it's still very cloudy. I did however use Lalvin D-47 yeast instead of bakers yeast. Could this be playing a part?

I certainly don't mind letting it sit a little longer, and definitely don't want to bottle prematurely in fermentation is not completely finished however I think it is. I have a thick layer of yeast at the bottom of the carboy.

Also note: I did not take a SG, and this is a 1 gallon batch.

thanks!

Graeme

I made it once and it took almost 3 months to clarify. At that point I could, as a forum member advised, read a newspaper through it. I would be patient for now.

No worries on the SG. It's JOAM. You're not supposed to do anything remotely complicated. :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm in no great rush to bottle it, just surprised that it has not clarified some what. Well, I suppose it has a little but it's still very cloudy

By changing the yeast you changed what you can expect from this mead. It might still turn out fine but you may need to let it sit for another month or two to get it to clear. D47 will impart a citrus taste as the mead sets on the lees so you don't need to worry about autolysis, just let it sit a while longer.

Though D47 is known to create fusel alcohols if it ferments at temps above 70 degrees. The JAOM recipe says it "likes a little heat (70-80)" but in your case it should have been kept cooler, any idea what temp it was at ? Don't get discouraged if it still tastes "hot" after it clears up, just rack it to a new jug and let it bulk age for several more months. And maybe consider making some more JAOM as per the recipe.

By changing the yeast you changed what you can expect from this mead. It might still turn out fine but you may need to let it sit for another month or two to get it to clear. D47 will impart a citrus taste as the mead sets on the lees so you don't need to worry about autolysis, just let it sit a while longer.

Though D47 is known to create fusel alcohols if it ferments at temps above 70 degrees. The JAOM recipe says it "likes a little heat (70-80)" but in your case it should have been kept cooler, any idea what temp it was at ? Don't get discouraged if it still tastes "hot" after it clears up, just rack it to a new jug and let it bulk age for several more months. And maybe consider making some more JAOM as per the recipe.

I would say that it didn't get too far over 70. 80 very unlikely. I do realise that using the d47 was tinkering a little but I was ordering some supplies for beer brewing and I figured using it would be interesting.

I'm not terribly keen on racking to secondary to be honest given that it is just a 1 gallon batch. I'll certainly leave it to clear and beyond that give it ample time in the bottle to develop.

And I thought beer brewing required patience! You guys are troopers!

And I thought beer brewing required patience! You guys are troopers!

Yea beer has nothing on mead when it comes to needing patience. My Joam took just over 3 months to clear without racking. Even then when it bottle aged I still got a little yeast in the bottles. Dont expect the best thing in the world at 3 months either, especially with D47. This will be dryer than the recipe suggests. Wait about 6 months in total & this recipe will start to shine then. After 8 months it is all grins. :D

I'd consider back-sweetening: Joe specifies bread yeast to leave sweetness to balance the bitter orange pith. D47 will leave it dry.
Degassing might speed up clearing?

Hey folks,

Just an update on this. Still hasn't appeared to clear...it's certainly allot clearer than it was but quite cloudy. The oranges have dropped out to the bottom too.

When I said I was in no great hurry, it would be preferable to have this carboy available to me for making yeast starters for beer brewing. Are there any detrimental effects to bottling this now? I'd be resigned to knowing it prob won't clear well in the bottle but other than that anything to worry about?

Could a 'cold crash' also help clear?

Thanks

Graeme

There could be a number of reasons its taking its time to clear, but yes, a cold crash might help. Just remember, it needs at least a week, possibly longer.

If its a bit tight in the fridge with an air lock on it, you can either use some cling wrap and an elastic band or a children's balloon, with a couple of pin holes in it.

I'd also repeat the comment that it will likely need back sweetening, as wine yeast usually takes it dry, which normally wouldn't be an issue, but with JAO dryness focuses the taste on the bitterness from the pith. Which is why its not a good dry recipe.

A benchmark batch is usually, almost "dessert" sweet., even then, I like to age it for at least 6 months.....

Back