My readings dont move.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbydigital

Reaction score
I dont have my ingriedent list. 5 gallon extract - honey brown.
2.5-3 gallons boiled, topped off with water.

On brew day i took my reading: 1.010 (didnt stir well after reading)
2 Weeks later moved to secondary 1.020
2 more weeks later moved to bottle 1.010

Whats going on here??????
This was a premade pack of honeybrew from notherbrewer..

Brewing has been easy for me, taking these ABV readings is like hell.
Im not sure if this is a question or rant... I just have no idea what im doing with his hydrometer... are there like electionic ones or something,

If you used one of those prehopped can deals, like I did my first time with similar issues, my LHS told me to boil, I think it was, 2 cups of dextrose in a little water and add. I had no instructions telling me that bit of info, but it worked. Haven't used one of those kits since.

It sounds like you're taking your readings correctly, but you just didn't get a accurate OG reading since you didn't mix your wort with the top off water very well.

If you finished at 1.010 after 2 weeks I'd guess that you started somewhere around 1.040-1.045 or so.

Ignore the ABV scale. It's irrelevant to homebrewing.

Most kits of the type you made shoot for the 1.040-1.045 range for original gravity. Hitting 1.020 after two weeks means the ferment was going a bit slowly, but hitting 1.010 is right on target.

Give it 2-3 weeks in the bottle & it should be ready.

Latest posts

Back