First brew down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcp197

Reaction score
Brewed my first 5 gallons tonight. I learned a lot in the process. First lesson was that I need a bigger stock pot! Had to split my batch when I added LME DME - hope this doesn't mess it up. Wort chiller worked great...about 10 - 15 min to 80 degrees and then cooled some more when I added cold water in the primary. Temp was about 74 when I pitched. Gravity was almost right in at 1.05.

image-3515816988.jpg

Congrats! Now you're hooked. Just make sure you get that stopper down in that carboy a little more if you haven't already.:mug:

I actually switched to a blow off because the bung wouldn't stay seated! :)

Congratulations, you've made beer! :ban:
When most of us start out, patience is a hard thing to learn. It's rough staring at all that beautiful brew, knowing you should leave it alone for around two weeks... then bottle it knowing you should STILL leave it alone for ANOTHER couple weeks. So...uh... good luck with that...:p

One hell of a fermentation started while at work today! Glad I put the blow off hose on last night. Will I need to clean this at some point or will it be ok?

image-3984825892.jpg

rcp197 said:
One hell of a fermentation started while at work today! Glad I put the blow off hose on last night. Will I need to clean this at some point or will it be ok?

Ok?.. It'll probably be awesome! No need to clean it just let it finish out in a few weeks. Send out samples when you're done lol

Congrats on the first batch! I started brewing again in June and I'm picking up stuff for my 5th batch tomorrow.

Awesome! I love checking on my beer. It's going to a long 7 wks!! I had a very vigorous fermentation going the first 24 hrs and it has slowed considerably since. I'm assuming this is normal?

Awesome! I love checking on my beer. It's going to a long 7 wks!! I had a very vigorous fermentation going the first 24 hrs and it has slowed considerably since. I'm assuming this is normal?

Yes, remember, don't rely on any bubbles to determine when fermentation is done. Always use a hydrometer.

Transferred to the secondary after gravity stabilized at 1.02, so that I can free up the primary for more brewing. The sample from the hydrometer tasted great, even this early and flat!

Moral is the story is that I need more primaries!

image-3038973217.jpg

You might want to cover your carboy. Beer does not like light.

Thanks! It's actually in a dark room (no windows and lights off). I just had the light on to siphon to the secondary and took the picture right after I finished.

Latest posts

Back