Mini Mash Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsasser

Reaction score
Working on a Austin Home-brew Kalamazoo Brown. Instructions say to soak grains in 2 gallons of water at 155. My question is would the process be ruined if we increased the soak to 3.5 gallons? Our kettles thermometer is above the 2 gallon mark. Novice brewer, all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!
Donnie

Why not unhook the thermometer and check the temp as it's climbing to the strike temp (usually upper 160's*F), take it off the heat once it does so and add the grains. Stir it for a little to make sure there's no dough balls then put the lid on, wrap it in a towel and check the temp 5-10 min later. Or even use a smaller pot for the steeping grains? Most people have a stock pot of sorts laying around.

Personally I would mash that with 1.5 gallons (1.5 quarts per pound). You could do 2 quarts/pound, which gives you the 2 gallons. I'm not the expert on mash dynamics, but 3.5 gals sounds like too much water. Do you have an instant read probe thermometer (for cooking) that you could use? That's what I use, they are relatively cheap.

mr_bell said:
Personally I would mash that with 1.5 gallons (1.5 quarts per pound). You could do 2 quarts/pound, which gives you the 2 gallons. I'm not the expert on mash dynamics, but 3.5 gals sounds like too much water. Do you have an instant read probe thermometer (for cooking) that you could use? That's what I use, they are relatively cheap.

We have all of that. Just was curious about the amount of water and how it would or could change the dynamics of the beer. Thanks for your help!

Back