Corn Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieofthenorth

Reaction score
Does anybody have any good recipes for a corn beer? Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm surprised it's not utilized more.

Yes, I was thinking mostly from corn. I'm intrigued because I've read that the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico make a type of corn beer. Sounds interesting and I thought it'd be fun to try and make a homebrew version of it.

How hard-core are you willing to get into this? I have read of people taking green corn stalks and extracting the sugars by soaking crushed corn stalks and then brewing a beer from that. :)

Corn and rice beers are strictly taboo in home brewing society.

Brew them, but never speak of them.

Talk about being FOS. :rolleyes:

Actually most of on here aren't beer snobs, and we don't look down on ANY beer style or ANY ingredient.

I make a kick ass cream ale with a lot of corn in it. And do quite a few historical beers where corn is quite common.

jamieofthenorth, many of the most popular recipes on here have corn in them, like Biermuncher's cream of the three crops, as does my Kentucky Common.

Malticulous makes a cream ale using POPCORN even.

How hard-core are you willing to get into this? I have read of people taking green corn stalks and extracting the sugars by soaking crushed corn stalks and then brewing a beer from that. :)

That sounds pretty cool! I don't have an all grain set up yet though, so for now my options are a bit more limited.

Yes, I was thinking mostly from corn. I'm intrigued because I've read that the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico make a type of corn beer. Sounds interesting and I thought it'd be fun to try and make a homebrew version of it.

Is this what you want?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha

No malting required, just get all your friends & neighbors to chew all the corn and spit it into a big pot.

If you are talking about Chicha, we actually have a few threads on it, and a few folks on here have experimented with making it, both the traditional chewing way, an with other ways to break the corn down.

Chicha experimentation/discussions on here were popular a couple years back when Discovery featured Sam Caliogone's version of it on Brewmasters.

Here's one of the discussions.

And here.

A guy actually entered a chicha in a competition.

Actually most of on here aren't beer snobs, and we don't look down on ANY beer style or ANY ingredient.

It's also known as playful sarcasm. Which you have mistaken for beer snobbery. :(

I'm glad you make great corn beers. :ban:

Jamieofthenorth - Notice that there are threads showing up at the bottom of the page with a related topic title.....

My understanding is that Miller has a large corn adjunct.

I did it. And before the Discovery show too!
For a one gallon batch I used 1.5 lb of malted corn(with I hung to dry myself, after growing it at my in-laws farm) and some soft brown sugar, about 0.75lb.
The mash came out blood red!
I lightly hopped it with Cluster and after 2 weeks in the bottle was very well carbonated with a great tartness to it. It was NOT clear,but almost. Very enjoyable and worth the effort.

I make a kick ass cream ale with a lot of corn in it. And do quite a few historical beers where corn is quite common.

jamieofthenorth, many of the most popular recipes on here have corn in them, like Biermuncher's cream of the three crops, as does my Kentucky Common.

Malticulous makes a cream ale using POPCORN even.

Most of us only branch out into the corn and rice as a way to make a lighter bodied beer, like a lawnmower beer, or something BMCish to please the plebes.

Haven't done corn yet. A friend of mine has been brewing small batches of your KY Commons frequently, so it's on my list. Some time this summer.

I've brewed a few times with rice - brown rice, brown basmati rice - and haven't received any scorn. of course, those threads are awful quiet.

I did it. And before the Discovery show too!
For a one gallon batch I used 1.5 lb of malted corn(with I hung to dry myself, after growing it at my in-laws farm) and some soft brown sugar, about 0.75lb.
The mash came out blood red!
I lightly hopped it with Cluster and after 2 weeks in the bottle was very well carbonated with a great tartness to it. It was NOT clear,but almost. Very enjoyable and worth the effort.

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

I just got bac from south america and yes chicha is good!..I wounder if u turned it into a beer and carbbed it..?

Oh hell yeah.
I carbed it at about 2gr table sugar per 12oz bottle, just enough to give it a little zing and it worked a treat.

Latest posts

Back