Big TX Home Brew E-Herms Build Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple more pics from yesterday's brew day. Here I'm knocking out.
6623364869_1425b795fc.jpg

A little late in the knockout, since the kettle temperature is low. I was going from 205 degrees to 65-70 degrees at about a 1/2 gallon per minute. Took about 20-25 minutes to knock out.
6623366507_03dcae832c.jpg

What you can't see in the pictures is that all my water from knocking out goes through my water filter as well and enters my HLT. I can then use the pre heated water to clean or brew another batch. Works pretty well.

Today's progress. All I can say is, there isn't enough beer in my fridge to numb the soreness in my neck after today's progress:

6564758805_7bae5380d0.jpg

Laying it out.

6567379673_c7c2790b4c.jpg

All my holes are cut, and switches and LEDs in.

6567383385_38ba3e9c6a.jpg

A good percentage of the wiring is completed. Now I need to get more wire, I ran out of 14awg. I have plenty of 24, but that's for the low voltage stuff.

What are the center recepticles? Rj45? What plugs in here

On the rj45 connectors on my temperatures probes, I took a few junk cat 5 cables and shortened them down and wired the temperature probes to the cable. The probes connect to the 4 rj45 jacks on the underside which tie into the BCS temp input pins via Cat5e that I had spare. The 5th RJ45 jack ties via pig tail into the rj45 network jack on the BCS. If I were to go back, I would have bough the crimpers and put new ends on the wire from ECC, and saved the time, and the unnecessary wire length of my temperature probes. Otherwise, the setup works without any issue.

On the rj45 connectors on my temperatures probes, I took a few junk cat 5 cables and shortened them down and wired the temperature probes to the cable. The probes connect to the 4 rj45 jacks on the underside which tie into the BCS temp input pins via Cat5e that I had spare. The 5th RJ45 jack ties via pig tail into the rj45 network jack on the BCS. If I were to go back, I would have bough the crimpers and put new ends on the wire from ECC, and saved the time, and the unnecessary wire length of my temperature probes. Otherwise, the setup works without any issue.

I think that a nifty idea, just ordered a punchdown, crimpers, 50ft of cat 5, and 10 rj45 for like 15 bucks. i just need to pick up a faceplate and jacks. Great idea and it looks clean

I think that a nifty idea, just ordered a punchdown, crimpers, 50ft of cat 5, and 10 rj45 for like 15 bucks. i just need to pick up a faceplate and jacks. Great idea and it looks clean

Hope it goes smooth. My favorite source for cat5/6 hardware, check out frwoodworking on ebay or fruitridgetools.com. Usually you can get a better deal on their ebay store. But eitherway, they were my source for the plates and jacks.

Back